Chapter 7 Thinking out Loud

Chapter 7 Thinking Out Loud

Renesmee's POV

          We are still driving, and now I'm really starting to get bored because we're never going to make it home at this rate. Daddy got a phone call a little bit ago, and now he seems to be stalling. I can feel the blood pooling in my muscles, and I sigh bored. I need to stretch my legs, before I permanently get stuck like this. I close my eyes, and remember the pages of a book that I read a few months ago. I have a perfect photographic memory, so I can reread books just by closing my eyes, and remembering the pages before me. I mentally flip the page, as I feel the car slow to a stop.

          It has me worried that daddy is stalling because it means that he's trying to avoid our home, and that means that something has got to be going on, and he doesn't want to be there during it, so that means that whatever is happening is bad. I leap from the car, like a wild gazelle, and rush across the scolding blacktop to the rest area bathroom. I can hear mommy calling after me, but I'm worried, and I'm upset and I just want to be by myself. I hurry past the bathroom, and into the lobby where there is a seating area, some vending machines, and the thing that I'm looking for. A pay phone.

          I hurry to the phone, and drop the three quarters in the slot, and as fast as I can, I put the phone to my ear, and begin to dial Auntie Alice's phone number. I hear the dial tone, for a moment, then the line begins to ring, and I wait in painful anticipation. It rings twice, before going to the voicemail, and I begin to really worry that something might actually be wrong. How can mommy and daddy be so calm, when our family could be in danger? What if The Vulturi found them? I turn around to head back to the bathroom, and my Jacob is there. I look into his face, for a moment before running into his open arms.

          "I'm really worried about my family, and mommy and daddy are being weird, and I'm really starting to freak out!" I exclaim, as he tightens his grip around me, and I feel his warmth begin to radiate through my skin, and my insides begin to warm up, from the cold dread that has been filling my veins, since daddy got the call earlier.

          "Nessie, nothing serious is going on, but your dad doesn't want you to see what's happening, so we're just slowing down a little." He explains, and even though it doesn't extinguish my worry, it does assuage it slightly.

          That's when I realize for the first time, how good Jacob's arms feel around me. I never thought about him as an actual person because he's always seemed like family to me. The truth is, he isn't related to me, and for some reason he has never smelled like this. He smells sweet, and the scent of his body spray fills my nostrils, and for the first time in my life, I feel butterflies light up the darkness in my stomach. What is this feeling? Why have I never noticed how good he smells, or how big his muscles are? I soak in the moment, as my Jacob holds me, trying to comfort me, but little does he know this moment means a lot more to me, than it does to him.

Lucas's POV

          Everything seems quiet, and the world flickers, before going a dark shade of gray. I kneel down quickly, and scoop her into my arms, carrying her up the stairs, as quickly, as it took, for Klaus to snap my neck, and still I feel like I took way too much time. I lay her down on the hospital bed that is set up, and hurriedly connect all the right tubes, and cables. Everything is set up within about seven seconds, and yet it feels like months, before she's laying on her back, lifelessly staring up at the ceiling above her. I hurriedly bite my wrist, and move to force some blood down her throat, but at that moment she begins to seize.