Chapter 19 Just like You

Renesmee's POV

We finally make it out of the house, but Michael is still being kind of difficult, so I hoist him onto my shoulder. I drag him across the grass, and we finally begin to inch forward. He groans, as he tries to help me. We finally make it to the tree line, but as soon as we are out of sight, I see something move in the house. That's when it explodes. I use my body to shield him from any of the flying debris, but I can feel it raining down on my back. One spare piece of wood plants itself into my shoulder, and I hiss in pain.

When everything finally seems to be still, and I'm sure that no other debris are going to come from the sky, I hoist Michael onto my shoulders once more, and we begin to move again. This time he seems to understand the urgency because he's actually helping me carry his weight now. I finally begin to notice the pain in my shoulder from the chunk of wood protruding from it, but I can't stop yet. We have to get far away from that place because someone from the Vulturi is there, and they caused that explosion.

We come to a river, and I finally decide that I have to get this wood out. It's going to slow me down, until I heal. I set Michael against a tree, and walk a few steps away, so he doesn't have to see the gruesome moment, when I pull a hunk of wood from my open sore. He turns his head, as I walk away.

"Ness, don't leave me please" he begs, but I just keep walking until I'm about twenty feet away from him.

"I'm right here Michael. I'm not leaving you, I promise" I tell him, and he seems to relax.

I hurriedly pull the collar of my shirt down, and look at the wound. There is a good sized piece of splintered wood sticking out of it. I reach behind my head, and grasp the end of the wood in my hand. Closing my eyes tightly, and biting down with my teeth, I grasp it tighter, my fingers shaking with fear. Then I yank the wood from my shoulder, and hiss in pain, as it comes out with a strange noise. I look down at the wound, and see that it's now bleeding. Right before my eyes the wound begins to shrink, and then it's gone.

I walk back over to Michael, and lift him up. Together we walk to the river, and he finally stands on his own. When he stands up straight, and takes my hand I feel my shoulder relax. Now I don't have to cart him around like an infant. Together we wade into the river, and slowly begin to cross the thing. Within minutes we're safely on the other side, and I pause for a moment to do what daddy taught me to do, in order to hid our scent. We can do this. We just have to be smarter than the enemy to survive.

Lucas's POV

"What the hell kind of gift is that? How can we trust it? We've never encountered something like this." I can hear the angry whispers from the other room, and they're frantically talking about whether to trust the gift that has supposedly presented itself on my sister's arms. Edward seems very skeptical, and Carlisle is willing to accept the gift with no worries. He's calm and collected. Maybe this is why he is the natural leader of this coven. He is really good at not panicking, or jumping to conclusions.

I'm pretty irritated because even though Emmett, and I are married now and I'm part of this damn coven; they still hold meetings without me. I have stuck with these people for everything now. I love them, and they're my family. I just wish they would consider me the same thing.

"Lucas is pretty upset that we're excluding him from this. You should go to him" Edward tells Emmett, and within a single moment, Emmett is right there, and he's reaching for my hand.

"Are you okay Luke?" he asks, and I just relinquish my hand from his grasp, and turn away from him. He follows me across the room, and moves in behind me to wrap his arms around me.