Chapter 20 Everything you're not

Renesmee's POV

I look back, as we hurry farther and farther away from whoever blew that house up. I can feel Michael getting tired, and he refuses to let me carry him, so we're at an impasse. He's a few feet behind me, and he's currently doubled over trying to catch his breath. I slow down, and turn back to talk to him. As soon as I walk up to him, he flinches in what has to be fear. The fear in his eyes hurts me so much. How could he think that I would ever hurt him? I thought we were friends. I thought he knew me better than that.

"Michael, I'm sorry for scaring you. I just want us to be friends again" I say, my eyes filling up with tears. I feel the sting in my nose, as I begin to cry.

"Ness, I'm not mad at you. We are friends, but this is a lot to take in. I'll get used to it, but I need you to give me some time to adjust, okay?" he asks, and I nod at him. It is a lot to take in I guess. At least we're still friends, and we can work all of this out. I would hate for us to never speak again because he can't adjust to who I am.

We should probably get moving again, so I make it a point, to start walking right in front of him. He doesn't move at first, but after a second, he begins to follow me again. I know he's lost, and he's scared right now, but if we don't get away from those people, then we could end up worse than scared. We could end up dead. I mentally picture my mommy, and daddy finding me dead. The pain they would feel makes my stomach ache, so I push it out of my mind. I'm just about to turn back to him to say something, when I hear it.

There is a distant sound of running from somewhere behind me. I know it has to be them, so I do the first thing that I can think of. I yank Michael off of his feet, and sling him over my shoulder. He stiffens, and groans in fear, but doesn't fight me. I take off running as fast as I can, and the trees begin to whoosh by every second. I run, and run until I run out of trees to run through. When I finally stop at the edge of a high cliff, I set him down on his feet. I hear him getting sick behind me, but I can't focus on him right now.

Something was back there. There was something running behind me, and where I come from, and in the world where I live, that is never a good thing. I got us out of there, but that means one single thing that I now have to come to terms with. We're being followed by someone, or by something. I can't be too sure as to what it might be, but one thing is for sure. I may have bitten off more than I can chew. I'm just a girl. I can't be expected to keep two people alive, can I? I shouldn't have on this journey alone.

Lucas's POV

I stand there quietly, as they gather in their small cluster. When they finally turn to face me, I burst into tears. Chloe is leaving today. She is going with Jasper, Landon, and Alice to Asia, in search of help for the ever-nearing day when the Vulturi rain down on our lives like fire in the sky. I just got everything that I've ever dreamt of, and now it's all being ripped apart. It was so shiny, and now. Now my life is a puddle of rust. I look into my sister's eyes, as the tears stream down my face. She crosses the room.

"Lucas, you have to be strong. You need to be strong for the babies. I'll be back. I promise!" she says, and even though I know there's no way she could know that for sure, I still let her words comfort me. I let her move in, and tightly wind her arms around me. Pulling away, I look directly into her eyes.

"I'll be right here waiting. We'll be here waiting, as long as it takes. Just please come back my sister. My best friend." I say, and now she falls apart. The tears come for both of us now.