Chapter Twenty Eight.

Start from the beginning

"I suppose so."

"What do you suppose?"

Both mine and my mum's eyes shifted to the doorway where Madeline was standing. Her blonde hair was loose and damp, hanging over her shoulders. Her eyes were filled with curiosity, and as always she looked beautiful.

"That school will help you take your mind off things."

I explained with a small smile and a half shrug. Madeline nodded her head, moving toward the island. I pushed my plate toward her.

"Want it?"

I asked her, gesturing toward the second slice of toast. Madeline shook her head, pausing to press her soft lips against mine for a fleeting moment before she continued toward the cupboard that held the mugs. I watched her as she took one out and made herself a coffee.

"You need to eat something."

I found myself saying. Although Madeline had appeared to be coping, she had also partially lost her appetite. It was rather disasterous seeing as Madeline had been thin to begin with, so she definitely did not need to be losing any weight, even if it wasn't intentional.

Madeline looked at me and rolled her eyes, an amused smile playing on her pale lips.

"Kyle's right- you should eat."

Mum said.

"Yeah...For me?"

I gave her my best puppy-dog expression, gazing at her lovingly until a real smile broke onto her face.

"Okay, okay. I'll eat something if you stop making that face at me. It's creepy."

"Creepy? Moi? It was supposed to be a pleading face!"

"Okay, well your pleading face is creepy."

Madeline grinned at me as she sidled over with her coffee in hand. A playful spark had appeared in her hazel eyes, and it warmed me to know that I had made her smile. I nudged the toast toward her again.

"Eat."

Madeline rolled her eyes at me again, but obligingly sat on the stool beside mine and methodically made her way through her toast and coffee.

*~*

"Have a good day, you three. See you later."

Madeline, Sophie and I scrambled out of the car, bidding my mother goodbyes as we slammed the doors closed. As soon as I was standing beside Madeline, my hand moved to seach for hers, and I entwined my fingers with hers. She turned her head and smiled at me nervously. I opened my mouth to speak, but Sophie beat me to it.

"Don't worry, Maddy. It'll be fine- you'll see."

Sophie leaned up, kissed Madeline's cheek and then skipped off through the school gates. I shook my head at my sister's retreating form.

Madeline smiled.

"I really do love your sister, Kyle."

"So do I- even if she is a pain in the ass sometimes."

Madeline shook her head at me, and I began to walk, pulling us both through the school gates. It was hard to believe that it had only been two and a half weeks since we had last stepped foor inside school grounds. With everything that had happed recently, it felt like it had been years.

Hands swinging slightly between us, Madeline and I made our way across the school playground toward the first of the several school buildings that our form room was in.

I cursed aloud as I was pushed from behind, and stumbled forward several steps. I turned my head, and the scowl slipped from my face at the sight of Charlie. Madeline released my hand as Charlie pulled me into an awkward man-hug. You would have thought that we hadn't seen each other in years. Releasing me, Charlie set his sights on Madeline, who instantly shook her head at him.