Chapter 32: Flip The Coin

"Whats happening right now Peridot?" Pearl pestered.

"I'm looking ok? Just give me a moment."

"We don't have a moment," Sapphire muttered. "Why isn't Lapis responding?" She fiddled with the walkie-talkie but there was seemingly no one on the other end. Meanwhile, Pearl and Peridot were still arguing back and forth.

"What do you mean you can't find her?" Pearl squawked.

"I'm trying!" Peridot argued. "Im doing everything I can to keep this machine from falling apart as it is! If you just give me some time, I'm looking ok?!"

"We're going to lose her in there!" Pearl began to pace back and forth. "This was a horrible idea, we don't even have an extraction plan, we should've expected this, prepared for this!"

Sapphire tried her best to talk over the incessant babbling. "Lapis, do you copy? Where are you right now? Lapis?"

Voice after voice. Footstep after footstep. Chaos had gripped the Gems by their throats and it felt as if it would crush them at any moment. It was too much.

"Everyone just shut up!" Peridot yelled, silencing the room. She wiped a few beads of sweat from her forward as she addressed the group. "I-" Peridot stopped as her voice cracked. "We are not going to lose Lapis. We are going to find her in there but I need to concentrate and I can't do that with all of you clods rambling like this."

Peridot was immediately met with defiance and denial.

"We're just trying to help-"

"I told you we shouldn't have sent her-"

"The coding is just too jumbled-"

During the fighting and bickering back and forth, there was a silent observer simply watching the entire mess unfold. Amethyst, arms crossed and bags forming under her eyes, decided she wasn't likely needed in the next few minutes. Instead, her assistance was needed elsewhere: Steven.

No one was sure where he went. Some mentioned that he was with Connie. Lion was gone too so it was likely they were all together. Still, Amethyst figured it was best that Steven would be there when Red woke up.

Soundlessly, she slipped out of the temple and followed the three sets of footprints leading from the house out to the beach.

•••••

"Lapis, do you copy? Where are you right now? Lapis?"

Groaning, Lapis's eyes began to adjust to the light. She was lying on the ground, a tiled surface. The breeze was blowing past her and she was surrounded by the busy sounds of people walking and chattering. Standing up, she realized she recognized the place she was at. She had been there before and for a very special reason. She was there because her diamond, Blue Diamond, was rumored to be visiting the pavilion.

Lapis, in her amazement almost missed the sounds of approaching footsteps. Three Rubies. One Sapphire. Like clockwork the events would play out as they always had. The escorts. The pavilion. The Crystal Gems.

She watched as Sapphire climbed the steps into Blue's chamber, leaving the guards alone. It was her chance.

Lapis rushed over to the scene. Only one Ruby looked up; it was exactly what Lapis needed.