Chapter 18: The Empty Room

Up until that day, Red had known everything about herself. But now, as she carried the fragile traitor to Homeworld on her back, risking her life to destroy the robonoids and escape, Red began to think.

There was no good explanation as to why she didn't just escape. She had a straight shot to freedom. Why didn't she take it? Why did she go back for the exact person she had been planning to destroy with the very trap she was in?

The robots didn't take much to disarm. A swift punch was enough. Still, carrying Sapphire was an inconvenience. Once again, she wondered why she wouldn't just let the blue gem go.

Red found that progress could be made in the room now that the robots were all destroyed. She reached the door and burst through, not caring what may be on the other side in fear that more robots may follow.

When Red turned around, she recognized where she was almost immediately.

The empty room.

The area of the trap Red had yet to program. It was a void, with a light source no one could see and nothing existing within it but Red and the gem she carried on her back.

No more danger.

Unsure of what to do next, Red placed Sapphire on the ground. The exit wouldn't be too far away. Still Red wasn't quite sure she was ready to leave that place.

It was inside of her, wasn't it? That nauseating feeling of unwanted change. Red clenched her fist. This wasn't her, it couldn't be her. Because Red was the product of a manufactured code and she wasn't suppose to feel like this. She never had until now.

The darkness seemed to move as Red stood there. Frozen. The world became dizzy and Red began to feel as though she was losing touch with everything that had ever made sense to her.

"You don't have to fear it."

Startled, Red turned around.

"I know what you're thinking...but I am real, to most extents."

Red shook her head in disbelief. She looked down at Sapphire who still laid at her feet. Then, she looked up at the Sapphire who stood in front of her, as calm as ever with her hands clasped together. Red stepped in front of the gem at her feet, putting herself between the two.

"What are you?"

"A memory."

"Not my memory."

"No."

Red examined the gem closer. It could be another trap. A hallucination, maybe.

"I'm not a hallucination Ruby."

"It's Red."

"Maybe to you," Sapphire stepped closer, "But you're still Ruby."

Red glanced down at her gem for a moment and looked back up to Sapphire.

"Am I in my mind?" Red asked; her voice was distant almost as if she wasn't expecting a response.

"Physically you are in your trap." Sapphire looked around. "Mentally, I believe you are there too." Sapphire saw Red's confused face. "I think it is me who is here."

"Why you then?" Red tried to straighten her posture. "Why not the Ruby I replaced?"

"Ruby, whether you were aware of it or not, is trapped inside your conjoined mind. She is not available at the moment."

"A trap like...this?" Red gestured to her surroundings.

"No," Sapphire shook her head, "Her trap is much more dangerous."

"How so?"

"Do you remember the mirror room?"

"The...what?" Red frowned.

"It is the place you existed before you inhabited this form."

"Before I was alive," Red echoed.

"If you would like to think of it that way, then yes."

"Ruby, she's stuck there now?" Red asked.

"The mirror room is gone," Sapphire snapped, "I'm surprised where Ruby is now would even concern you." Sapphire's sudden harsh tone surprised Red.

"Why are you here then?" Red glared back, taking a few threatening steps toward her.

Sapphire closed the distance between the two gems and placed a hand on Red's shoulder. Red winced as a twinge of pain sparked through her. If only for a moment she saw glimpses of what Red could only describe to be memories. A forest. Humming. Sapphire.

"You have to stop." Sapphire's voice was close to her ear even though the gem hadn't moved. Red was abruptly brought back to the present.

"Stop what?" Red said but she sounded less sure of herself.

"I know what you're planning Red and it will only bring you pain if you continue this way. You can't lie to me. This trap, it was a distraction for your teammates, right? You can't tell them what your real intentions are."

Red attempted to shove Sapphire away from her, but failed as they merely phased through Sapphire's image.

Red stared at Sapphire and then, out of nowhere, Red began to laugh. Sapphire's eye narrowed in confusion.

"You know they would just try to stop me," Red chuckled. "But then again, what do you know? You aren't even real. I'm just talking to myself...like some maniac."

Sapphire was taken aback by what Red said. The shock caught her off guard allowing Red to twist out of her grip.

"I don't know why I'm even listening to you," Red continued. "The real Sapphire," Red turned around to the still unconscious gem, "Isn't even worth my time, let alone you."

"Then why did you save her?"

Red froze. There was no reasonable answer.

"But you have an answer nonetheless."

"Get out of my head."

"You know the answer, don't you Ruby?"

"Get out of my head!" Red spun around, summoning her gauntlet. "And I won't say it again. I'm. Not. Ruby."

Red charged towards Sapphire who didn't even flinch. As Red went to punch Sapphire, her hand once again phased through her, causing her to trip. Her whole body passed through Sapphire sending an unbearable amount of pain throughout her form. The fake Sapphire was gone but Red couldn't tell. Her mind was being flooded with images she didn't recognize. A forest. Sapphire. Keystone. A ship. Sapphire. A new gem. Bubbles. A fusion. Sapphire. Sapphire. Sapphire.

"Sapphire..." Red muttered before being overwhelmed with her visions and blacking out.