Chapter 7: Ulterior Motives

Peridot didn't remember going back to the temple and when she woke up she didn't find any answers waiting for her. The place was empty.

She groaned as she sat up. Red had done a real number on her. Her gem seemed to be the only thing that wasn't harmed. Even after regeneration, the injuries were still there.

Peridot pulled herself off the couch. She was limping and she barely had any energy left. Still, she somehow managed to make her way to the temple door which she knocked on timidly. She could only hope that the others were in there. Peridot sank to the floor disappointedly when nobody came out.

•••••

"That wasn't part of the plan." Sapphire glared at Lapis harshly. Pearl and Amethyst shared a worried look whereas Steven stayed silent, still thinking about Peridot and if she'd reformed yet.

"To be fair, there wasn't much of a plan to begin with." Lapis paced around the barn. "Besides, if I intervened anymore than I did, I could've blown my cover. I'd rather Peridot be injured than dead."

"Lapis is right," Pearl spoke up. "Having her on the inside is integral to us. Lapis had to do what she had to do. If she hadn't been there, Peridot would've died."

Sapphire still wasn't convinced.

"How did they know Peridot was there?" Sapphire asked, "You said Jasper and...and Red don't patrol. That they wouldn't of noticed her there."

Lapis swallowed. "I was wrong."

"Wrong? Or did you tell them we sent her? If we can't trust you with a simple mission then how can we-"

"Maybe we should go back to the temple and regroup." Steven walked over to Sapphire and put a hand on her shoulder. "We can check on Peridot too."

"I'd love to come," Lapis sighed, "But sadly I have to get back to the Kindergarten." Lapis stopped in front of Sapphire as if she was going to say something more but decided against it and left without another word.

The others warped back to the temple where they saw Peridot lying on the floor, playing with a floating spoon.

"Yo Peri," Amethyst greeted in relief. "You're up."

The spoon fell on Peridot's face once she stood up, although she did so with difficultly. She smiled at the group anyways. At least she finally had company.

"Oh, how are you feeling Peridot?" Pearl asked, noticing the gem was still in pain.

"I'll survive," Peridot nodded, sitting back down on the couch.

"Did you get the files?" Pearl walked over to the kitchen to make some tea.

"Huh?" Peridot frowned. "Oh, right..." Peridot reached in her pocket and pulled out the small, crushed bits of the flash drive.

"Dang," Amethyst sighed. "So this whole thing was a bust then?"

"Maybe not," Peridot shook her head. "When we were fighting, Red said some things that I think might help us."

"You can fill us in later," Sapphire said. "You should get some rest for now."

Peridot nodded, "Thanks."

The gems soon dispersed until it was only Sapphire and Peridot left in the room.

"How was she?" Sapphire asked quietly.

Peridot shook her head, not meeting Sapphire's eyes. "She's bad. I mean...really bad. She's farther gone than any of us could have anticipated."

Sapphire didn't seem to respond. After a moment she asked something else.

"Do you trust Lapis?"

Peridot thought about it. "I saw the way Lapis looked at me when Red was about to shatter me. I don't think she wants Red and Jasper to win. And I don't think she wants to see them hurt us. So...yes. I trust her."

Sapphire nodded.

"Do you?" Peridot asked.

Sapphire took a longer pause.

"I trust your judgement." Then Sapphire thought back to Lapis's escape. "And I trust Ruby's."

Peridot nodded.

"Get some rest Sapphire."

"You too."