Chapter 25: Trust In Me

"Dammit," Lapis mumbled as she watched Red leave the room. No matter which camera she looked through, Red was going to hide herself and her plans. What could Red possibly want that she couldn't risk Lapis finding out about?

"Is there a problem?" A voice said from behind her. Lapis whipped around.

"Jasper!" Lapis smiled, trying her best to act natural. "I was just watching to...make sure everything went alright."

Jasper nodded but still regarded her strangely. "How did it go?"

"Red was right; Bismuth cracked easily," Lapis said discontentedly and tapped her fingers along the table.

Jasper laughed a little.

"What's so funny?" Lapis asked.

"You." Jasper leaned against the wall. "You really don't like Red, do you?"

"Well do you?" Lapis defended sharply.

Jasper sighed. "I don't like the fact that she's a better fighter than me. That's Homeworld's fault. They programmed her like this but why couldn't they make her less..."

"Power hungry?" Lapis finished for her. "Manipulative? Egotistical? What, are you afraid she's gonna replace you?" Lapis joked.

Jasper frowned, "Thanks." Lapis tapped her foot on the ground. She didn't know when she'd get a chance to talk to Bismuth.

"Do you think we can trust Red?" Jasper asked. "I feel like she's not telling us everything. I have no idea how much she even knows...do you think Ruby could've taken back control and is messing with us?"

"Trust me, if Ruby took control, we'd notice." Lapis shook her head. "But, no, I don't trust Red. I don't think she cares about Homeworld as much as she lets on. I think she has ulterior motives."

"Like what?" Jasper asked.

"I don't know," Lapis admitted, "But I have the funny feeling she does." Lapis pointed towards the monitor where Bismuth's face was paused. Jasper looked at the screen and then back at Lapis.

"Then what do you suggest?" Jasper asked. Lapis tapped her foot. It wouldn't hurt to get Jasper involved. If she was careful enough...

"I need you to distract Red," Lapis decided. "Just long enough for me to get a word in with Bismuth. Think you could do that?"

Jasper grinned at the thought. It was about time she got her revenge. "Just tell me when."

•••••

Bismuth sat in her chair in a state of shock and overwhelming. Red was asking for...a lot.

"I don't know." Bismuth stared at the ground. "I don't think I can do that."

"Of course you can," Red grinned. "You're the only one who can do this right. And I know you'd never let me down. So what do you say?"

"I need time to decide."

"You don't have time. You have a decision."

"But I-"

"Yes or no Bismuth?" Red leaned forward dangerously.

Before she could answer a loud bang was heard outside.

"Open up!" A muffled voice banged on the door.

Red groaned, "What is it?"

"Red, I need you to come here now," The voice said. Red fumed but stomped towards the door anyways. When she opened it Jasper stood in the entryway.

"This better be important," Red shoved past her. The two walked into the hall and to another room, leaving Bismuth alone.

She took the opportunity to take in her surroundings and weigh her odds. She was in a Kindergarten but she didn't know where or which one. There were secret rooms and passageways all over the place; she would know seeing as she's built some of them herself, but there were so many she was at a loss at where she would even begin if she wanted to escape.

The Crystal Gems have always been outnumbered, Bismuth thought to herself. We've never had the upper hand. We've survived as long as we have already without any help. Do we really need to have invincibility? I mean, even I could take on Ruby.

"But that's not Ruby..." Bismuth remind herself. The exhausted gem placed her head in her hands.

Bismuth made up her mind. She would have to decline Ruby's offer. She had seen a Kindergarten in use. She didn't want to see it again. Even more, she never wanted to see the real reason she had been brought here become a reality.

"Please let this be the right room..."

Bismuth turned her head towards the sound. Expecting to see an angry Ruby or a quartz soldier, Bismuth was shocked to see a Lapis Lazuli. Those were powerful gems after all. The two gems surveyed each other.

Do you remember me? Lapis wanted to ask. Do you even realize what you put me through?

"Are you going to threaten me too?" Bismuth asked. "I can save you the time. I already made my choice. I'm not doing anything your sick version of a leader wants."

Lapis swallowed and carefully pulled up a chair, sitting where Red had been previously. "As much as I admire your decision, I'm going to need you to change your mind."