Chapter 11: A Challenge For Authority

The sound of the door slamming shut and a paper bag crinkling from the other room was signal enough that Red was back from her doughnut run.

"Oh honey," Red chirped from the designated break room, "I'm home!"

Jasper groaned. Why? She thought to herself, Why out of all the gems they could've picked did they choose her?

Jasper entered the break room to see Red had already helped herself to a doughnut and was raving to Lapis about them once again. Jasper didn't understand her love for the earth food but if it put her in a good mood she wasn't about to question it.

"What's the matter Jaspy?" Red took a seat in one of the chairs and promptly set her feet on the table in front of her, making an effort to block Lapis's view. The blue gem rolled her eyes, concluding Red was definitely worse than her orange companion, and moved to another seat.

Red's eyes followed Jasper as she too sat down, across from them.

"You know, if I start to get on your nerves you can just say it," Red smirked casually but her eyes contradicted it with a calculating and unnerving feel, "I won't be offended."

Jasper glared at her, "Full offense, you're getting on my nerves."

"Next time then why don't you tell them to make me with less sass?" Red shrugged.

"Like that's even possible," Lapis grumbled.

Red laughed but her cheerful look soon faded. For a moment she looked troubled, and then she carefully shifted eye contact away from the others.

"That Peridot came here only a day ago," Red stated, "Isn't it a little strange they only sent one?

"What?" Lapis frowned.

"She didn't come to attack us," Red tapped her fingers along the desk, "That was a stealth mission if I've ever seen one, even if she did perform so poorly."

"Your point?" Jasper asked.

"Why would she risk coming so deep into the Kindergarten?" Red asked. "What could the Crystal Gems possibly need so badly that they'd make a risk like that?"

Red looked at the others. They didn't have an answer.

"Have any of you ever heard about hijacking?"

This made Jasper and Lapis freeze.

"Well?" Red raised an eyebrow.

"It's an old Homeworld plan," Jasper said stiffly. "Its never worked before. It was abandoned."

"A virus that changes a gem's coding," Red had a faraway look in her eyes, "Could you imagine? Changing an entire gem's memories, personality, skill sets...and they would never know."

Lapis felt a bubble of panic in her chest. Did she know the truth?

"What's your point?" Jasper snapped.

"My point?" Red glared, "In case you hadn't figured it out yet, the Crystal Gems found out about the virus. It's why they sent the Peridot. That hard drive she was carrying was full of information. If you ask me, I think they're actually going to try it."

Lapis and Jasper let out a breath of relief. So she isn't onto us, Lapis reassured herself.

"Those Crystal nobodies can experiment all they want," Red growled, "But if they think they can crack me then they have a world of hurt coming. To be clear, I'd appreciate if we eliminated the threat entirely. Speaking of which, maybe we'll get a chance to discuss the real issues."

Jasper frowned. "What real issues?"

"Let's face it," Red began to walk to the head of the table. "Quartz soldiers weren't meant to lead. You've made that perfectly clear with your time being here. I suggest a change in authority."

"What?" Both Lapis and Jasper spoke up.

"Neither of you can get the job done," Red shrugged with a prideful grin. "Don't complain much. You should be lucky to have me."

"And what brilliant ideas do you have to bring to the table?" Jasper stood up, showing off her height.

Red merely ignored her attempt to assert dominance and met her with an equal glare. "I have a plan actually. One that will get the parasites out of our hair for good. That's what you want, right?"

Lapis shook her head slightly but nobody took notice.

"Then here's what we're gonna do."