Chapter 28: The Mission

No one seemed to notice Red's absence from the Kindergarten. Bismuth was busy repairing an injector, dismantling it, then building it again. Lapis was away in her designated room, wondering how on earth she was going to explain to the Crystal Gems what she had witnessed. And Jasper...well, she didn't have the conscious mind to wonder where Red could be. Instead, she prowled through the Kindergarten aimlessly in search of something to attack.

Maybe that's why Red had never liked them. Sometimes it seemed like the only gem who ever cared about Red was Sapphire.

"You can't be serious."

"Why wouldn't I be?" Red ignored the figure who appeared next to her. The mindscape Sapphire stared at her judgmentally.

"She doesn't actually care about you."

"Maybe," Red said quietly. "Is it so hard to believe she might?" She turned to look at the Sapphire but she had disappeared. Shaking her head, she stared down at her gem. It was time she got answers. Double checking that she was alone, Red summoned the Memory Tablet.

"You showed me what I needed before," Red gripped the stone harshly. "I need your help again. I need to know why I'm here. Why was I made? My coding, it isn't loyal to Homeworld. If I'm not made for them...what am I for?"

For a moment nothing happened, nearly discouraging Red. Then, without warning, a bright light emitted from the stone, completely engulfing her.

Blinking in the harsh light, Red's eyes adjusted. Physically she was still in the Kindergarten but mentally she was somewhere else entirely. She was in a memory.

Her surroundings were green and metallic. She seemed to be standing just outside a control room, possibly of a ship. The hallway she stood in was dark and shrouded her figure. She could barely see into the room from where she was but if she moved more she'd expose herself to the two gems she was watching.

"What do you mean we aren't going back to Homeworld?"

"I said," Jasper clarified, "We aren't going back yet. There's a difference."

"But we already captured the Crystal Gems!" Peridot exclaimed. "Why would we not immediately report back to Homeworld to put them into custody? They're going to go on trial for treason."

"Forget all that just for a second!" Jasper growled, slamming her fist on the table. Peridot backed away from her. Jasper sighed and changed to a quieter tone. "Can you keep a secret Peridot?"

"A secret? Like what?"

Jasper looked around for anyone listening before leaning towards Peridot. "I could be shattered for telling you this...but I'm under direct orders to make sure this mission goes exactly as planned."

"Our mission is to retrieve the Crystal Gems," Peridot frowned.

Jasper shook her head. "That's what Yellow Diamond told you?"

"Well, not personally...it's still an order given from her authority. Her authority is ultimate Jasper. If someone has given you another mission it can't override this one."

"This mission can," Jasper said gravely. "Can I trust that what I show you in this room will stay in this room Peridot?"

"It doesn't sound like you have a choice," Peridot said, "But yes."

Jasper walked over to the other side of the room, causing Red to duck behind the wall. If she looked in the room, Jasper would see her no doubt. She was stuck there. As much as she wanted to look, there was no memory of doing so and couldn't.