Chapter 2: A Friend's Help

The small green gem sighed as she warped back to the temple. She had lost track of time and although she didn't know how long she had been out searching, she knew it wouldn't be long before she got back out there.

What was she even searching for? Monsters? Busy work? Her? Not even Peridot really knew.

It was dark out. The temple was empty as far as she could tell. Good. She wasn't in the mood for talking to the other Crystal Gems. They always asked too many questions that Peridot couldn't answer. And not to mention...

Peridot shook the thoughts out of her head. It was too late to think about these things. At least, that was the excuse she told herself as she raided their fridge.

Finding a particularly bright can of fizzy liquid, Peridot felt satisfied with her endeavors and started back towards the warp pad.

"Peridot? Is that you?"

Peridot stopped and sighed in defeat. "Yes, it's me."

Steven smiled a little. He had been asleep when he heard her come in.

"What're you up to?" Steven asked curiously. "We haven't seen you in, like, a week."

"Dealing with missions," Peridot answered, setting her unopened drink aside. "It would be inefficient for a gem of my capabilities to be spending any of my time doing something unproductive. You all should be thanking me for that. And if you wouldn't mind, I would like to continue with it."

"How about a change of plans? I'm actually really glad I caught you." Steven climbed down the stairs sleepily. "We need your help."

"We?"

"The gems and I."

Peridot looked at the warp longingly, "I'm sorry Steven, I would love to help but-"

"Peridot please," He looked at her pleadingly, a concerned look in his eyes, "You've been working non-stop. You have to take a break sometimes."

Peridot glared at him, knowing he was right even if she didn't like it. Maybe she had been working non-stop but at least it kept her from thinking about all the messes these last few months had brought.

"What do you need help with?"

"The gems and I have been talking. We need more information on hijacking if we're gonna have a place to start," Steven explained, "Like how it works and if we can reverse it."

Peridot stared at him for a second. Her mouth felt dry just thinking about it. Hijacking. She knew how bad it could be. She was the one who had infected Ruby with that virus in the first place. Other than the knowledge Peridot already had, she doubted any new information would even exist, especially on a place like Earth.

Then, Peridot saw Steven's expression. There was hope on his face that managed to make Peridot smile. She couldn't quite remember the last time she did that.

Peridot made up her mind. The gems needed her help and she was not about to let them down.

"In the morning," Peridot concluded. "We'll go over it all in the morning."

Steven smiled, "Thanks Peridot." He gave her a much needed hug which she numbly returned, appreciative of the gesture nonetheless.