Chapter 21: The Surface

"This is perfect," Ruby sighed dreamily as she sat on the hill, watching the sun set.

"Yes, it is," Sapphire smiled. "Almost as perfect as you."

Ruby chuckled and looked over at Sapphire. She was so beautiful in the golden sunset; every feature shown bright on her glowing face.

"What are you looking at?" Sapphire chuckled a bit.

"Just the only thing hot enough to rival the sun," Ruby grinned, causing a fit of laughter from Sapphire. She pushed Ruby playfully.

"You are such a dork."

"I'm your dork," Ruby leaned over and kissed Sapphire. It was short but loving. Ruby laid down on the grass with a thud.

"I've missed this," Ruby sighed, a hint of sadness creeping into her voice.

Sapphire looked confused as she leaned over Ruby. "What is there to miss? Everyone is right here."

Ruby was about to answer when she realized she didn't know what she meant when she said that.

"Tonight is not a night for worries," Sapphire brought Ruby back into a mind-numbing kiss. Ruby tangled her hands in Sapphire's hair as Sapphire pulled Ruby in closer, erasing any doubts Ruby might've had.

"Better?" Sapphire asked as she pulled away.

"Better," Ruby answered trance-like. "Wait here, I got something that I want to give you." Ruby had been waiting for their anniversary to give Sapphire her gift but they had never been unfused long enough to celebrate separately. She felt now was as good a time as ever.

It was just a simple necklace. Ruby had seen it and thought of Sapphire when she saw it. It consisted of a gold chain and a small golden frog pendant hanging from it. She had been keeping it in a shoe box in her room, which could only be accessed by herself or Garnet.

Ruby walked back into the temple only to find Sapphire standing in the doorway.

"Sapphy?" Ruby laughed good-naturedly. "I thought I told you to wait on the hill."

Sapphire didn't look amused. "Have you really forgotten why you're here?"

Ruby looked at her confused. "To...get your gift?"

"No!" Sapphire groaned. "I knew this would happen. Ruby this isn't real, remember? This was only suppose to be a quick break. After that thing came after you....do you know how long it's been? The things that are happening on the surface-"

"Sapphire," Ruby cut her off with a worried look, "You aren't making any sense."

"No, you're the one not making sense," Sapphire was panicked which was a first for her. "That thing has tricked you into thinking whatever version of Beach City this is, is real but it's not! Outside of this place is the real Beach City where the real Sapphire needs you."

Ruby's eyes met the floor as she began to recall her situation.

"Has Red hurt her?" Ruby asked.

"What?" Sapphire looked shocked.

"Has Red hurt Sapphire?" Ruby repeated herself, her voice falling into a trance-like tone.

"No...not necessarily but that doesn't mean-"

"Then I can risk a longer break," Ruby shrugged the issue off. "I'll keep a closer eye on things and lay low in here for now."

"You need to be out there fighting," Sapphire argued. "Red is planning more than she's letting on, the Crystal Gems aren't prepared for her. You have to take control or else-"

"Or else what?" Ruby gave Sapphire a pointed look, "Or else Red is gonna destroy the world single-handed? No gem has that power."

"She may not destroy the world but she'll destroy your friends and that's close enough," Sapphire insisted. "Ruby you aren't thinking right. Something has changed you. We have to leave-"

"No, you have to leave. I make my own decisions and I decide to stay here. You can fight me on this or you can leave."

Sapphire didn't have a choice. Ruby could expel her from this part of her mind any time she wanted. Even if Sapphire was a part of Ruby.

"Be careful," Sapphire said quietly. "Things are changing out there."

Ruby didn't respond. When she walked back to the hill, Sapphire was right where she left her and happy as always to see her.

"Is everything alright?" Sapphire placed a hand in Ruby's shoulder. "You look a little tense."

"I'm fine," Ruby grinned reassuringly. "I was just arguing with myself. In fact..." Ruby frowned but shrugged the feeling off, "I can't even remember what for."

The gift Ruby had meant to grab was quickly forgotten as was the sapphire watching from the temple.