Chapter 17: Weak

Chapter 17: Weak

The hallway was longer than Red anticipated. She had a bad feeling about it but, still, she couldn't remember the room or it's mechanics.

"I don't suppose I need to tell you to be careful," Red grumbled, scanning the room with each step they took. They didn't seem to be making any progress.

"I could figure that out for myself," Sapphire said, "But thank you."

Red turned to her, stopping in front of her. "Have you always been like this or are you just trying out being a total a-"

"What's it to you?" Sapphire raised her eyebrow. "I'm just another enemy aren't I? I have to ask why you haven't attacked me yet."

Red stared at her, feeling more flustered by the minute. "Pff! I-I could take you any time I want, believe me." Red crossed her arms and decided to find a particular interest in the wall. "I just would appreciate the help of getting out of here."

"How were you sure I'd even help?" Sapphire asked.

Red faltered. She really knows how to make someone frustrated.

"That's your...thing, isn't it?" Red half-heartedly explained. "Helping people and junk."

Sapphire rolled her eye but didn't answer. She pushed past Red, and continued their walk. Red resisted the urge to scream. She didn't know why Sapphire was getting to her so much but she refused to dwell on it.

"Would you have done the same?" Sapphire asked.

"What?"

"If you had been in that doorway," Sapphire continued, "And I was stuck down there, would you have left me there?"

"Yes," Red snapped but there was a half second of hesitation before she said it. "And don't think I won't take that chance if I do get it, so no funny business."

Sapphire nodded disappointedly.

Red brought her attention back to the hallway. "We aren't getting anywhere."

Sapphire looked around, agreeing with her. They had barely even gotten away from the previous door. There was no end in sight.

"There must be another exit," Sapphire said.

"Can't you like..." Red struggled to think of the correct words, "Look with your time thingy and find one."

"You mean my future vision," Sapphire corrected then sighed. "It doesn't exactly work at the moment."

"How could it not-"

"Enough arguing," Sapphire said with a hint of a plead in her voice. "We should be looking for an exit."

Red nodded but didn't want to drop the subject. As much as she tried to find an exit she kept getting distracted, her mind wandering back to Sapphire. She shouldn't of been so interested but she felt something different when she looked at her. Something she didn't recognize. It had been gradual at first, slowly growing every time she found herself talking to her.

"You know," Red said without thinking, "Those ice powers are pretty impressive. You're a good fighter."

Sapphire was quiet at first, from shock most likely, but responded, "You aren't half bad yourself."

"Half bad?" Red scoffed. "I'm the best fighter in this place!"

"Oh, I hadn't realized the other Crystal Gems had escaped," Sapphire smiled slyly.

It took a moment but when Red got it she laughed a bit, "Hey!"

Sapphire chuckled a bit. It felt nice to talk to Ruby again even if Ruby wasn't exactly Ruby. Red rolled her eyes when she saw something on the ceiling.

"What's with this place and heights?" Red mumbled. Sapphire looked up to where she was looking. A small square was on the top of the ceiling. It wasn't too far away, Red and Sapphire could jump up and reach it easily.

"That's too easy," Sapphire said. Red shrugged. There was nothing else to do, unless they wanted to wander that hallway for the rest of their lives. Red jumped up to reach it. The second she touched it, the square shimmered and disappeared, leaving open space.

"Red," Sapphire had her eyes locked onto something down the hall, "Problem?"

Red looked over and saw tiny robonoid creatures flying towards them.

"Problem," Red nodded, "Definitely a problem." As she said that, the robonoids fired at the two gems. Red gritted her teeth as she jumped out of the way, catching the entrance and pulling herself inside.

She expected to see Sapphire right behind her; however, when she turned around, she was alone in the tight, air vent-like space. She glanced down to the hallway to see Sapphire had been hit and was now unconscious.

Red looked between Sapphire and the path in front of her. She could see a natural light at the end. It had to be the exit. The real exit.

She looked back down. The doorway between her and Sapphire was closing quickly. The robonoids were ready to fire an ending blow to the motionless blue gem. If she jumped down there though, the exit would be lost.

Red made up her mind.