Chapter 26: Who's Side Are You On?

"Wow..." Bismuth whistled. It was a lot to take in. Being a double agent? Pretty dangerous for a Lapis.

"You see," Lapis said, "That's why I need you to tell me what Red's planning. Right now, the Crystal Gems and I are dead in the water. We lost our upper hand and we have no idea what's gonna come next."

"I'm all for helping out my friends but if everything you told me is true, wouldn't it be best to stay on Red's good side? That's why I can't tell you. If I can guarantee the Crystal Gems won't be hurt-"

"Do you honestly think she'll keep her word?" Lapis glared. "The minute she gets what she wants from you, she'll destroy them. And you. And me. Bismuth, as much as I hate it, you might be the best chance we've got. But you have to tell me what she's planning or all of this is for nothing."

"But if I can give them time-"

"There is no time-"

"If I can give them time," Bismuth interjected, raising her voice ever so slightly. "If I can stall her, then I could be giving the gems their best chance."

"Fine," Lapis said. "Do what you want. Build whatever she wants you to but don't keep it a secret. We need to be able to plan our next move. You have to understand that."

Bismuth debated for an annoyingly long time before giving in.

"You can't let her know I told you," Bismuth said with dead seriousness. "If she finds out, the deals off and she won't stop until the gems are shattered. I hope you know that this could ruin everything."

"Or it could save everyone."

Bismuth paused, still reluctant. "Are you scared of her? Red, I mean."

"Absolutely."

"She's only one gem." Bismuth asked, "What if we all just ganged up on her?"

"Don't underestimate her." Lapis sighed. "If Jasper can't take her-"

"Please, I beat Jasper," Bismuth scoffed.

"Red is not an ordinary gem," Lapis shook her head. "You haven't seen her fight. There's an energy about her. She's far more dangerous than she lets on."

"More dangerous than a group of experienced fighters?" Bismuth glared. "I've lived in fear of being shattered before. Unlike you, I fought in a war."

"I could've fought," Lapis stood up, kicking her chair back.

"Yeah," Bismuth rolled her eyes. "I remember you. You'd just run away."

"Last time I checked, I've been the one sticking my neck out! I could've left a long time ago. I'm trying to help the Crystal Gems. What are you trying to do?"

"I'm bidding my time."

"Then who's really running?"

"Are you calling me a coward?" Bismuth stood up angrily.

"I'm calling you a hypocrite. You're so ready to stop your friends being shattered but what's the real reason Red wants you?"

"Excuse me?" Bismuth's glare darkened.

"I did my research." Lapis's voice raised. "I know about the breaking point. Is that what Red wants you to build? Is it?"

Before Bismuth could retaliate the two heated gems were interrupted by the only thing more heated than them. A fire ball sparked into the metal table. Upon closer inspection, the fireball seemed to be Red.

"Stop running from the truth!" Red yelled.

A furious Jasper barreled her way into the room.

"You don't know a thing about me!" Jasper swung her fist for the red gem but missed as the latter jumped out of the way, sending the table crashing to the ground. Bismuth and Lapis quickly took cover.

"Your anger makes you dangerous but it also makes you dumb," Red laughed. "You haven't landed a punch on me!"

"Dumb?" Jasper snarled. She grabbed for Red who jumped up and kicked Jasper square in the face. Jasper reeled back. The bigger gem let out a laugh. "At least I'm not as dumb as a Ruby. Who do you think you're kidding?"

This must have struck a cord with Red as she seemed to falter, if only to the most minimum degree: a second of doubt.

"No matter how smart Homeworld tried to make you..." Jasper laughed, "You'll always just be disposable." Red charged at her but Jasper stepped aside. "You're nothing but fusion fodder but then again...you can't even do that right anymore, can you?"

That was the final straw. Red blasted a wall of fire at Jasper who met it head on, literally. She put her head down and allowed her helmet to meet the brunt of the force. Thinking quick, Red slid underneath the flames and kicked Jasper in the nose. Jasper went flying towards the ceiling, making a dent as she hit.

Jasper landed back on the floor in a daze. Red grabbed the melting table and broke off a leg. The metal dripped in her hands.

She flung the metal forward, straight towards Jasper's chest. Jasper caught it barely. The two were stuck there, Red pressing down and Jasper trying as hard as she could to force it away.

"Why isn't Jasper pushing it away?" Bismuth whispered. "She's stronger than Red. Isn't she?"

Red's strength was beyond her gems capabilities. A Ruby was not built to overpower a Quartz. And yet, when Jasper looked into Red's eyes she saw something. It was more than just a gem. It was animal.

"L-Lapis," Jasper grunted against the force. "We can beat her. F-fuse with me...LAPIS!"

Lapis stared at the gem. She couldn't move.

"Lapis...please...La-"

Jasper lost her grip.

The metal went straight through her physical form.

Her gem fell to the floor.

Red dropped the metal stake.

She picked up the gem, held it in her left hand.

Something happened in that bunker. Something happened to Red, something inside her that snapped. As Red held Jasper, when her own ruby touched the orange gem, Jasper changed.

Jasper corrupted.

Light filled the room as a new being twisted and formed. Jasper had turned into a beast. Her hands turned to claws, spikes grew from her figure, her eyes glowed hot red. It bowed to Red. It was feral, larger than life, and obedient.

Red wasn't fazed. She stared up at her creation with a grin written into her face.

"So Bismuth," Red turned to the blacksmith. "Made up your mind?"