10

rosie's p.o.v

my eyelids drift open of their own accord, i don't really feel ready to wake up yet but i'm not given a choice.

"hey sleepy head, how are you feeling?".

my hands subconsciously rub my eyes until my vision becomes clear and i sit up slowly. i'm in a stark white room, completed by crisp sheets and bare walls. bright lights reflect off the shiny polished floor, accompanied by a steady beeping emitted from a machine next to me.

"oh" i mumble, flicking my hair over to one side and cocking my head at the voice that came from next to me. i'm shocked to see nat, pressing a button on the wall but keeping her eyes on me.

"let stark know rosie is awake" she says quickly before turning her full attention back to me "yeah, oh" she repeats with a smirk "i have to say i've never seen stark so flustered, you gave him the fright of his life".

i grin but quickly pull it back again because i feel a little guilty "is he okay?".

"never mind me, are you okay?" dad struts into the room, his usual ego shadowed by dark-rimmed eyes and a worried smile.

"i'm fine" i shrug "don't really remember what happened though". i pretty much make the realisation as i say it, i hadn't thought about it until now. i don't remember how i got here or why i'm here.

dad looks at natasha, who raises an eyebrow at him as if to say this is his problem. i'd like to know what the problem is, especially as it seems to concern primarily me.

"we aren't quite sure what happened yet, but doctor banner thinks it might have been along the lines of a panic attack" dad grimaces and sits at the end of the bed.

"a what" a stare at him with a blank face, absolutely no idea what he's on about.

the grimace hardens "sometimes.. when people get nervous or worried, they find it hard to breathe".

"oh" i contemplate it for a moment "well i can breathe now can we go?".

natasha snorts and dad shoots her a hard look which softens when he looks back to me "you're sure you feel okay?".

"why would i say i did if i didn't" i shake my head and dad lets out an amused sigh.

"come on then cubs".

i'm shocked to see that we're still on the jet, and that it's morning. to be fair i was kind of exhausted last night, and it makes sense that we're still here because nothing has really happened and i know it will. i'm rested on dad's hip as we travel down the corridor, he insisted that i let him carry me for now and i've decided to just let him. nat said to take advantage of his mother hen mode and nat is always right.

"one day you're going to hate me" i say before i can stop myself.

sometimes it's as if someone says words for me, as if i'm not in control of my mouth. i don't even think thoughts before i say them, but they're definitely mine.

dad looks horrified and looks down at me "what?".

"i don't know" i frown up at him "i just know that you will.. somehow".

"listen here, rosalie astraea harmonia atlanta nyx stark, there is nothing that could make me hate you".

there's an awkward silence that follows in which 'i will always love you' worms it's way into my head like an infection and i'm forced to keep a straight face. "thanks" i manage to choke out and he rolls his eyes at me.

"sarcastic gremlin" he mutters as we enter bruce's lab.

"good morning" i sing once through the doors, catching the attention of the scientist, who gives me a small smile.

"feeling better?".

i nod enthusiastically, still in dad's arms.

"look, roos" dad begins tentatively "this stuff might get a little boring for you, so i've located your pointe shoes and an empty room.. so if you wanted to you could go and do that".

i can't hold back the grin that spreads across my face, i miss dance a lot when i'm away from it and the thought of dancing right now lifts the weight on my chest i didn't realise was there.

so i'm by myself, working on my turns without my pointe shoes because my feet hurt a lot. dad is only next door, but i can still feel the danger drawing closer and closer, right up until the point that i'm thrown to the ground when the jet lurches. i jump to my feet quickly, immediately reaching for my bow which connects with my hand like a magnet. the first thing i do is head for the door, i need to find dad.

"ROSALIE?" i hear shouted from the lab, and i walk through the door calmly.

"i'm fine" i respond quickly, watching as the relief washes over his face. i realise how often i have to reassure him of this lately, it's funny how things have changed since afghanistan. dad has always been protective, but before now there was no need for it "do you have a hairtie?" i ask.

"why would i have a-"

"check your pocket" i insist, confident in the knowledge that he'll most likely have one from a ballet recital or something of the sorts. he raises his eyebrows at me as his hand returns from his back pockets with the black elastic in his hand, which i take gratefully "thanks".

a bit defo got deleted here lmao

"you need to go find coulson, stay with him until this blows over yeah?" he turns serious suddenly and i nod. i could protest, but i don't feel like he's in the mood to argue right now so it's probably best not to. i suppose i can't help it if i get into trouble on the way.. can i?

i make my way back out in the hall, only pausing to turn back and say "stay safe".

"you too tiny, do what you have to".

it's not good advice to give a ten year old, which he probably should have realised at the time. but he didn't, so i did.