25: I n s i d e M a n

XX

[PREVIOUSLY: Octavia and Abby return to the Ark, each with their own personal reasons

[PREVIOUSLY: Octavia and Abby return to the Ark, each with their own personal reasons. Octavia comforts Raven after Finn's death and confronts Aidan about Lincoln. Then, the Skikru forces are ordered to meet up in Polis. Raven, Aidan and Octavia go ahead of the army only to run into a horrifying situation].

"L-Lincoln?" I sputtered in shock, my gaze trailing over his ragged, dishevelled figure. "What the hell happened to you?"

The only reply out of Lincoln's mouth was a fierce growl. I watched, in horror, as his blood-shot eyes bounced hungrily from me to Aidan and then to Raven. A spatter of white war-paint covered his left eye and a trail of blood lingered across his neck and cheek-bones.

He looked scary. He looked savage. He looked like a...

"Reaper!" Aidan breathed.

"A what?" Raven hissed, confused and frightened by the turn of events.

I shook my head and stumbled backwards. "Oh no. Oh no. Lincoln...what did they do to you?"

"What the hell is a Reaper?" Raven whisper-shouted, her tone one of urgency and irritation.

As Aidan started to back away from Lincoln, he returned in a low tone, "There's a tunnel that winds it way deep into the mountains. They are crawling with monstrous beasts, ones of legend, ones that we call Reapers. They were named after the Grim Reapers of Death, mostly because if you encounter one, you never get out alive."

"When Trikru was attacking Skikru's base a few weeks ago, Lincoln saved me," I further explained. "He led Finn and I right into those tunnels to get away from Anya..." my voice trailed off. "But I had no idea he would become one of them."

"Unfortunately, it happens all the time," Aidan let out a lengthy sigh as he held his hands out in front of him. "Lincoln! Lincoln! It's me. It's Aidan, your friend. Just calm down, alright? We're not going to hurt you."

For a moment, Lincoln stared at him before suddenly springing into action. Screaming and yelling like a deranged maniac being slaughtered, he hurled himself towards us.

"Run!" Raven screeched.

And run we did.

As the three of us wound our way around bushes, trees and ferns, desperate to get away from the monster chasing us, a pang of pain shot through my chest.

I had lost Charlotte. I had lost Finn. I had lost all of my friends.

And now, I had lost Lincoln.

"Urgh!"

Upon hearing Raven's scream of pain, both Aidan and I skidded to a halt and whirled around, only to see her lying on the floor, writhing in agony.

"Raven!" I cried as I scuttled to her side. "Raven, are you okay? What happened?"