19: N i g h t m a r e

XX

[PREVIOUSLY: Things escalate dangerously as Trikru surrounds the camp of Skikru

[PREVIOUSLY: Things escalate dangerously as Trikru surrounds the camp of Skikru. When Octavia is tortured, Finn suddenly makes an appearance, begging for her release. Lexa agrees to the proposal and, as Octavia is taken away, she is hit with a sudden realisation].

I had loved him and I had lost him.

As I was dragged, screaming and struggling, kicking and swearing, fighting and crying, back through the gates, I realised that a tiny portion of my heart still belonged to Finn. He had been the first person to befriend me when we landed on Earth. He had been the first guy, besides Bellamy, to look out for me, protect me and make me feel like I was worth something. He had been the first boy I had ever loved.

And now he was going to die.

As the guards ungracefully dumped me onto the cold, hard-packed ground next to the Ark doors, I saw one of them remove their shock baton and hold it dangerously close to my face.

Emitting a loud, angry screech, I scrambled to my feet and tried to run back out of the gates. When the guard forcefully restrained me, I clawed furiously at his face, drawing bloody patterns on his forehead and cheeks.

"Enough! Enough! Just quit fighting!" one of his friends shouted.

"No! You don't understand!" I screamed back, right in his face. "He's going to die and it's all my fault!"

I collapsed, sobbing, to the floor. I couldn't fight anymore. I couldn't be strong anymore. I was personally responsible for the death of one of my closest companions. If that wasn't enough to break someone, I don't know what is.

Just then, a loud, feminine voice cried out, "Stand aside! Stand aside! Let me through! Octavia! Octavia! Are you alright?"

Startled, I lifted my head and looked straight into the concerned face of Clarke! Blonde curls framed her rounded cheeks and her features were adorned with big, blue eyes that were filled with anger, worry and determination.

Completely convinced that I was hallucinating, I backed away from her, my face an expression of sheer shock. "C-Clarke?" I quavered. "W-what is this?"

Clarke crouched down beside me and placed a soothing hand on my shoulder. "Relax, Octavia, it's okay. I have a plan. I won't let them kill Finn."

I shook my head in disbelief, tears glistening in my eyes. "You can't stop them, Clarke! There are hundreds of them and only one of you! He's gonna die. He's gonna die because of me!"

"Shhh, stop saying that," she rebuffed me firmly. "He's not going to die. C'mon, let's get you back inside the Ark. We need to clean up those wounds. Then, I'll explain everything."