15: T i c k e t f o r R a n s o m

XX

[PREVIOUSLY: Octavia and Raven exchange bitter words

[PREVIOUSLY: Octavia and Raven exchange bitter words. In the meanwhile, Lexa comes to the kid's rescue by demanding Bellamy's release from the dungeons of Titus. Then, the unthinkable occurs; a messenger rushes forward with tragic news - Skikru has massacred the village of TonDC]!

"Skikru did this. They have betrayed us all!"

No sooner had Nyko's words of forewarning pierced through the dank, musty air when, suddenly, my knees were kicked out from beneath me.

I was tackled to the ground by someone with the strength of a damn lioness! My arms were wrenched behind my back and my face was pressed firmly against the hardened dirt of the earthen floor. My breaths came out in panicked pants and my eyes widened in shock and rage as I started to make sense of what had happened.

Had Kane, in retaliation for our disobedience, taken out his anger on the grounders? Had a few delinquents, loaded with guns, strayed from the Ark and stumbled across the little grounder village? Had a plot to avenge our friends, who were in Mount Weather, gone awry?

"I - I had no idea this was happening!" I spluttered in protest as the pressure on the back of my head began to build up. "Y-you have to believe me!"

"What do you want me to do with her, Your Highness?" the fierce voice of Indra cut through the air like a sharpened knife.

For a moment, Lexa didn't reply. When she did, however, she addressed Nyko in a harsh, condescending tone, "How many? How many of our people were slaughtered? Answer me!"

Nyko shook his head, a tear or two falling from his eyes. "When I escaped, eighteen had fallen. After that? I cannot say."

A low growl rose up in Lexa's throat as she stooped over my prone figure. "Did you know about this? Did you distract our troops, did you distract me, while your people carried out this evil deed?"

I shook my head vigorously but I was unable to answer as my mouth was full with dirt.

Lexa ground her teeth viciously together as she straightened up to her full height. "Change of plans. Put her in the cell with her brother. Titus, you are to watch over them. Either of them escape and you shall pay with your life! As for the others, hunt them down and kill them!"

As I was jerked to my feet, I spat out at Lexa, the dirt in my mouth spraying across the bodice of her royal clothing. "You know we would never do such a thing!" I screamed. "You know that we're not lying! Lexa! You know it! You can't kill them! They're innocent! They had nothing to do with this! They are as oblivious to the situation as I am! Please! Lexa! You're better than this! Don't do it! Don't do it!"

Lexa's eyes narrowed as she stepped towards me. "How dare you insult my character! First, you lie to me about Aidan being with you. Secondly, you try to break into the tower to reach me! And thirdly, you are a Skai Gada and I can no longer trust you! Your loyalty lies with your people, not Trikru. I am sick and tired of listening to you when your 'grand ideas' bring us nothing but sorrow! I'm returning to TonDC and I am going to destroy those responsible for such an atrocious act! Now, you shall pay the price for your people's foolishness. You shall be my prisoner, held for ransom! Until the offenders are turned over to me, you will not leave Polis and we will not have an alliance. Do you understand?"