5: R e t u r n o f t h e A r k

XX

[PREVIOUSLY: The gang comes across a river

[PREVIOUSLY: The gang comes across a river. Sparks fly between Octavia and Aidan. The moment is ruined, though, when they hear a terrified yell and realise that Murphy's life is in danger]!

"Help me! Octavia plshmuswling!"

The grounder dug his blade deeper into Murphy's throat, preventing him from finishing his sentence. His sharp, beady eyes bounced from Aidan to me then back to Aidan again.

"So, it is you," the intruder growled, piercing Aidan with a furious glare. "The traitor. The one who tried to kill our Heda. The bastard who has a bounty on his head. I could get a pretty penny for you."

"Tristan," Aidan breathed.

"What?" I glanced at him in horror. "You know this guy?"

Aidan nodded as he flung out his hand, warning me from saying anything else. Clearing his throat, he straightened up to his full height before snapping, "Let him go, Tristan, and I'll let you live."

The huge, burly warrior, whose armour was lined with bones and skulls, let out a deep, throaty laugh. "I'd like to see you try and take me down."

Aidan's hands balled into fists and his jaw tightened. "I'm not going to ask you again."

Tristan rolled his eyes. "Please. I'm the one with the sword here. I won't kill him," he shoved at Murphy's shoulder, "if you take his place."

"W-why do you want him?" I blurted out.

At this, Aidan stiffened.

Tristan threw back his head and roared with laughter. "Oh, so he didn't tell you, did he?" he cackled.

I frowned, anger building up within me. How dare he laugh!

"I'll take that as a no," Tristan sneered. "Our Mister Aidan here was more concerned about saving a ditzy Skai Gada than protecting the life and soul and blood of our queen. Once Heda faced his betrayal, she sent out a troop of soldiers to find him and bring him back to Polis to die the death of a hundred cuts; a suitable end for a traitor! However, he escaped and his failure to show up to his own execution resulted in his immediate banishment. There's signs for his capture all over Polis and most of the countryside."

My mouth dropped open as a sudden realisation hit me. "Y-you didn't just want to take us to the Ark!" I cried out as I turned to Aidan. "You wanted to make sure we got there via a different route so that we wouldn't see the reward posters!"

Aidan glanced sideways at me and heaved a deep sigh. "That is partly true, yes. Look, I didn't want to burden you with such information, okay? I-I didn't want you to think that it was your fault that it happened."