14: M a s s a c r e!

XX

[PREVIOUSLY: With Octavia and Raven in the lead, everyone does their part to look and act like grounders as they scout Polis, searching for Bellamy

[PREVIOUSLY: With Octavia and Raven in the lead, everyone does their part to look and act like grounders as they scout Polis, searching for Bellamy. Finally, Octavia realises that they are getting nowhere and enlists Indra's help].

Chrrrick. Chrrrick. Chrrrick.

Slowly, carefully, I passed a smooth stone over the sharpened tip of my sword, following the jagged lines as they dipped and rose along the edge of the hard-crusted metal.

I glanced up briefly, checking to make sure the others were doing okay.

I was leaning back against the grey, brick wall with Bryce, Tim and Peter sprawled on the ground opposite me. Zoe, who had gotten her hands on a long-bladed dagger, was fiercely guarding the entrance into the deserted street. Raven was standing nearby with her head bowed and her hands in her pockets, looking like complete misery.

I chucked the stone onto the ground near my feet and sheathed my weapon as I moved closer to her. "Ra-Ra, you okay?"

Raven snapped her head up and sent me a withering stare. "Only Finn is allowed to call me that, got it?"

My eyes widened in annoyance and surprise but, nevertheless, I gave her a slight nod, indicating that I had understood. "Well? What's up?" I persisted.

"What's up? Are you kidding me?" Raven retorted, her jaw clenching in anger. "We left them, Octavia! We left Finn and Murphy and Aidan out there, all alone! Great, now we know that Bellamy isn't dying but what if they are? We abandoned our friends. We never should've done that. If anything happens to them, I'm placing the blame on your head!"

I glared at her, something starting to snap within me. "Sheesh Raven, you didn't need to come with us if you didn't want too!"

"You made it sound like I had no other choice!" she yelled. "You made it sound like finding Bellamy was more important than waiting for them to make it back!"

"I did not," I growled. "I - I'm just trying to keep the peace here, okay? I would've left anyway but you didn't have too! So don't go pinning the blame on me when you're just as guilty!"

"What if something happens to Finn?" Raven cried, tears of desperation shining in her eyes. "I couldn't take that, okay? I watched Conner die. I watched Izzy die. I watched dozens of our people die by the grounder's hands. But I cannot even bear the thought of Finn suffering the same fate ... I - I love him."

I froze. "You - you love him?"

"Of course I do!" Raven snapped as she jabbed angrily at her wet eyes. "I've loved him since day one, okay? I can't lose him. Y-you wouldn't understand. You were raised beneath the floor. You're a complete basket-case, Octavia. You have a, what shall we call it, a wee crush on Aidan because he's good-looking but you have no idea what it's like to love someone!"