6: M e m o r i e s

XX

[PREVIOUSLY: The stranded delinquents are saved when Kane and a company of guards from the Ark make a dramatic appearance

[PREVIOUSLY: The stranded delinquents are saved when Kane and a company of guards from the Ark make a dramatic appearance. They are escorted back to safety where they meet Abigail Griffin, the mother of Clarke who is desperate to see her again. However, they carry bad news].

"We need your help."

Before Abby or anyone else could answer, a yell rose up and carried itself over to us along the wisps of the crisp afternoon breeze. "Kane! Thank god. You made it back!"

A dark-skinned man, curls bouncing against his forehead and a rifle slung over his shoulder, hurried forward. Upon seeing us kids, however, he paused. "Wait. R-Raven?" he choked out.

Raven's eyes brightened upon spotting him. "Sinclair! Oh my god! Sinclair!" she yelped happily as she threw herself into his arms.

As the two shared their tender moment, I turned to Finn and whispered, "That was Raven's boss back on the Ark, right?"

Finn sent me a lopsided grin as he nodded. "Yep. Apart from Raven, he's one of the best mechanics they have."

I rolled my eyes. "Don't tell her that. She's the best, remember?"

"I hate to interrupt," Kane suddenly spoke up, his voice rough and urgent. "But we all need to get back inside the gates. The grounders could be watching us at this very moment. We can't risk being attacked."

"Speaking of grounders," one of the guards turned and eyed Aidan suspiciously. "What the hell is he doing here?"

Aidan narrowed his eyes at the man but said nothing. Finn, however, was quick to jump to his defence. "Jeepers, man, pipe down. We can trust him. He's saved our lives a number of times. Besides, his people want to kill him too. We can't just leave him out here. He'll die."

"I can take care of myself thank you very much," Aidan snapped.

"Whoa," Kane quickly stepped in. "You cannot go around fighting and quarrelling like animals! There are rules! And they're here to stay. The grounder can come with us, but keep him in solitary. I don't want him mixing with the general population. He could be a spy for all we know."

"What? No! Kane, you don't understand!" I protested. "You can't lock him up! He's done nothing wrong!"

"Yeah, you can't treat him like an uncivilised savage!" Finn backed me up.

Kane's eyes flitted between Finn and I. "I can't go wrong. He is one." Then, he glanced up at a handful of guards standing nearby. "Do as I say. Now."

As they started dragging an unresisting Aidan off, I attempted to go after him but Kane put out a restraining hand, stopping me mid-stride. "Unless you want to join him I'd advise staying right where you are."