18: S a c r i f i c e

XX

[PREVIOUSLY: Octavia is placed in a precarious situation as Princess Lexa's hostage

[PREVIOUSLY: Octavia is placed in a precarious situation as Princess Lexa's hostage. The Skai Gada is considered to be the leverage in the feud between Trikru and Skikru but the question remains: who will die? Her or Finn]?

CRUNCH. CRUNCH. CRUNCH.

The dry, dead leaves of autumn crumpled beneath my booted feet as I walked, unwillingly and reluctantly, through the sultry, grey mists shrouding the forests of deep ebony and dark brown.

My hands were fastened behind my back with a coil of rope that was rubbing the skin off my wrists. A dull, dirty rag had been thrust into my mouth and tied around the back of my head. My thick, greasy hair hung in tangled strands down my back and cuts and bruises littered my face and arms.

My emerald eyes darted here and there, watching as Lexa, atop a magnificent steed right in front of me, held up her arm.

Immediately, the army, consisting of armed and angry grounders that surrounded me on all sides, came to a halt.

With her maroon robe billowing in the breezy air, Lexa swivelled around in her saddle and addressed the multitude, "Hod op. Indra, teik yo gona kamp raun emo hodgeda. Osir na hir (Stop. Indra, get your warriors into position. We are here)."

Slowly, I craned my neck to one side and squinted my eyes against the setting sun. That's when I saw it.

The Ark.

The fence surrounding it on all sides had been fortified with electric wires and lined with fiery torches. Gunmen stood watch near all the gates and raised posts, that towered over the fence-line, contained stacks of ammunition and groups of trained cadets, their gaze sharp and their aim flawless.

The camp was eerily quiet. There were no citizens hurrying to and fro and no children playing in the great, marshy outdoors. Instead, huge spotlights flittered across the ground and ever-watchful guards were present in every nook and cranny of the perimeter.

I swallowed when I realised: they were preparing for war.

My attention quickly diverted back to Lexa when, in one swift movement, she alighted from her horse. Motioning two of her soldiers over, she said, "Miya snap! Ai gada imfou in gon Skikru. Teik em in (Come quick! I have a message for Skikru. Take it)."

The two men bowed low to the ground before their princess. Then, straightening up and unsheathing their swords, they dashed out from the security of the forest towards the camp.

Lexa removed a small dagger from her belt as she called out, "Gustus!" Pointing the sharpened blade towards me, she spoke, lowly and sternly, "Erect a large pole in the middle of our camp. Then, take this Skai Gada and tie her to it so all her people can see. Every hour that they delay answering our call, deliver a cut to her body with this knife. I don't care how long they take to decide or many cuts you have to deliver to this traitor, we are going to get our revenge."