13: G r o u n d e r D i s g u i s e

XX

[PREVIOUSLY: Octavia and her friends accompany Lexa and her squad to Polis, where they slip away amidst the hassle of their entrance

[PREVIOUSLY: Octavia and her friends accompany Lexa and her squad to Polis, where they slip away amidst the hassle of their entrance. Although she feels guilty for leaving Aidan behind, Octavia's one goal is finding Bellamy ... but it may prove to be harder than she first expected].

"Octavia! What are you doing? Wake up!"

My eyes flew open and I jolted upright with a start. Gasping, I glanced around to see Raven crouched next to my prone body.

She gave me a stern look as she said, "You were supposed to be on watch with me."

"Oh no, really?" I groaned and buried my face in my hands. "I - I'm sorry. I tried to stay awake but I just ..."

"Forget it," Raven huffed as she pushed herself up into a standing position. "But I feel like I need to remind you that you're not the only one going through crap at the moment, okay?"

I swallowed hard and nodded. "I'm really sorry, Raven."

"Whatever." She waved me aside as she turned to Zoe, Bryce, Tim and Peter, who were still cosily snuggled up together on the hay. She clapped her hands together as she exclaimed, "Chop, chop, everyone! Up, up, get up. We need to move."

Her announcement was met with grunts of annoyance and unwillingness. I couldn't say I blamed them though. I was exhausted too.

As everyone started to sleepily roll out of bed, I stood up and brushed myself off. As I strapped my sword securely around my waist, I glanced over towards the rose-gold clouds bordering the edge of the horizon.

Dawn was just breaking.

Unfortunately, none of us had time to admire the colourful artwork painting the early morning sky. As soon as everyone had gotten themselves together and erased the evidence of our stay, we gathered together at the end of the alleyway. It opened up onto a large, paved street leading into the market square. Already, people were starting to stir and the crisp, autumn air was filled with the chirping of birds and the occasional clatter of a horse and cart.

"Great, now what do we do?" Bryce queried in a low voice as he surveyed our surroundings.

A smirk tugged on my lips as I looked towards a fully-laden washing line strung between two brick houses just opposite us. "We have to blend in," I returned. "It's time to get ourselves some clothes."

It only took us a few minutes to strip the washing line bare. As soon as we had done so, however, we scurried back into the safety of the alleyway and began to hand out the soft, furry cloaks and starched animal hide shirts.

As it turned out, Tim was an expert at breaking and entering without being seen and picked out a rather forlorn little house sitting on the outskirts of the city as his target. He stole some black ink and a few coloured paints before returning with his bounty.