Peggy Schuyler- Arranged Marriage (c)

Peggy sipped at her tea as you told her of the events of yesterday. The life of a woman in New York was generally uneventful, expected to be there as a polite well-mannered inferior to either her father or husband. You had luckily escaped marriage this long, barely being legal, and your parents wishing to let you have a year to find true love. You had found your true love, but you couldn't tell your parents that as you were in love with your close friend Peggy.

The two of you would be happy together, spending most of your time together, being far more intimate that two women were allowed to be. Your year of searching for a husband had come to an end and your parents intervened, unbeknownst to them, forcing the beginning of the end of your relationship with her.

"What was he like?" Peggy asked, practically wincing at the thought of the question.

"Vile," you stated. "Absolutely vile. He is only interested in my Father's wallet, he barely even remembered my name."

She let out a tut. Many of the men who were at the age to wed, cared mainly for the money they would receive through their marriage, their wife to be only being an asset to their new monetary gain.

"And you are to wed him?" She questioned.

"In the spring. My mother wishes for us to befriend each other before we are to be wed. I doubt I shall stand him more on our wedding day than I did on our first meeting."

Peggy held a solemn express. "My apologies Y/N. You deserve so much better."

You couldn't help but smile at her. No matter if you were legally bound to another, your heart would always belong to Peggy. If the law didn't interfere with that then the two of you would have been betrothed a long whilst ago.

"Oh, I do wish that I could be wed to you. Life would be far happier and joyous if I were allowed to show my love for you."

She held you hand in hers, raising your knuckles to her lips.

"One day my love, hopefully we shall get our day in the sun so we can be happy," she smiled.

"What it is to wish for a brighter day," you sighed.

If only the law didn't get in the way, but soon enough you'd lose your time with Peggy, forced to marry a man whom you cared not for.

~*~

Written by Charlotte.

Requested by