Chapter 19

“Why didn’t you tell me what you did?” I asked the second Thayne appeared in my bed room. I had been up waiting for him.

“What?” he asked his initial shock clear in his voice but clueless on his face.

“Why didn’t you tell me what you were doing for him?” I repeated clarifying a little more.

He cleared his throat his eyes frantically searching my face.

“McKenzie what are you-“

“Don’t” I said cutting him off “Don’t play the stupid card”

He sighed “Alex told you” it wasn’t a questioned more like a statement.

“No, I guessed” I corrected. I had gotten Alex in enough trouble.

“You want to know what I do?” he asked.

“No, I know what you do, and I know why you do it. I want to know why you failed to tell me” I said.

“I didn’t tell you because I knew you would react like this” he said angrily.

“If I would’ve heard it from you, I wouldn’t have reacted like this” I retorted.

“I didn’t want you worrying” he said defensively.

“You lied”

“I didn’t lie, I just didn’t tell the whole truth” he corrected.

“That’s just as bad as lying!” I said throwing my hands out.

He stared at me for a long minute “I was just trying to make this” he motioned between the two of us “as normal as possible” he told me.

“Thayne” I sighed “we don’t have a normal relationship. We never will. You shouldn’t be risking your life to fix something that’s permanently damaged” I told him.

“McKenzie I'm a demon. It’s in my nature to do what I do. I'm very capable of taking care of myself.” He told me.

“I know that but what if-“

“See you’re worrying, this is exactly what I didn’t want to happen” he pointed out, I kept my mouth shut just taking in his gorgeous features while he looked at me silently.

“I'm just trying to give you at least half of what you deserve” he said quietly.

I sighed “I know” I said dropping my eyes to the ground thinking about things and chewing on my lip. I could feel his body heat and was startled from the sudden view of his combat boots in my view. I looked up at him, his eyes were glued to my lips.

“Forgive me” he said putting his hand in the crook of my neck positioning my head up a little more. My heart skipped a beat and the tingles on my skin made goose bumps rise all over my body.

“Please” he added leaning in gently molding his lips to my own before I could answer. I slid my hands up his chest not able to latch them behind his head because he was so tall. Instead of pulling away like I thought he would, he slowly traced my bottom lip with his tongue.

I froze.

Oh my god does he want to make out? Does Thayne even know how to make out? Does he even know what that is?

Wait.

What?

All thoughts were completely lost and my brain scrambled leaving me to draw a blank as he slipped his tongue in my mouth. My chest squeezed and my stomach twisted in knots. His taste erupted on my taste buds and I can honestly say I was the best thing ever.