Chapter 7

“What are you going to do when she gets killed?” he asked Thayne.

“She’s here for me to protect her” Thayne told him.

“Thayne you have a really busy life I don’t think you have time for a… girlfriend” he told him.

“obviously you need one so you can get laid every once in a while and chill the fuck out” I said.

Suddenly there was another person, it was another guy with honey brown hair and brown eyes who was huge.

His eyes lit up when he saw me “Oh is this her?” he questioned.

“I’m Alex” he said.

“McKenzie” I replied giving him a small wave.

“she’s a cool little chick, she’s right Cory you do need be a laid we all know how you get when-“

“Shut it Alex” Cory snapped, I started laughing making Alex wink at me.

“Alex take McKenzie downstairs” Thayne said.

“My pleasure” he said walking towards me, Thayne put his hand up stopping him.

“Walk her down, don’t touch her” Thayne said coolly, Alex jerked his head and opened the door.

‘So what’s it like, being his mate?” he asked me.

“ it’s not that bad, he’s alright most of the time” I replied.

“And you’re fine with the whole scary, emotionless, intimidating, dark side of him?” he asked.

“Everyone has their demons” I said grinning, he looked shocked before he started laughing.

“that was a good one” he told me, making me chuckle.

“In fact most people aren’t brave enough to make puns about demons” he said, I shrugged as we walked down the stairs.

“you don’t smell that bad by the way” he told me.

“What?” I asked.

“You don’t smell bad you smell like the woods mostly, with a small hint of Thayne” he told me.

“You heard that?” I asked.

“yes I didn't realize Cory smelled like stale fruit loops and sex” he told me shrugging while laughing.

“I don’t really like him” I said.

“yeah nobody does, but he’s really close to Thayne, he was completely against the whole idea of Thayne even speaking to you. He was afraid he would get hurt and it would distract Thayne from his work” he told me.

“Thayne? Hurt?” I scoffed.

“he cares about you” he told me.

“He’s not very good at showing it” I said, I followed him into a kitchen.

“Thayne doesn’t associate with people, he doesn’t know how to carry on a conversation that doesn’t involve work. He’s very limited, because he’s never had anyone to talk with. No one had ever shown him how to do those things and before he met you he wasn’t very interested in learning to care for people or be generally interested in something or someone besides his work.” He told me.

“Yeah I know he gets extremely irritated when I ask questions about him, it’s usually just yes or no” I said shrugging.

“Are you hungry?” he asked.

“No I just had dinner” I replied.

“Good because I’m not sure we have food here” he said sounding curious, I laughed.