Chapter 14

I went downstairs and ate steak hoping with each stair I climbed Thayne would be there. I opened my door and disappointment filled me. I took a shower and went to bed , I didn’t see Thayne for a week. A whole week.

Needless to say, I was miserable. I had barley eaten or slept.

I took a well-deserved hot shower and pulled on his t-shirt I stole, it still had small traces of his scent on it and that’s the only thing that made me sleep I slept at all.

“Thayne!” I said shocked he was standing in my room, I rushed over to him throwing my arms around him, he stiffly hugged me back, a little too tight but I’m not complaining. I let go of him when the warmth in my chest finally returned.

“Where have you been? Why haven’t you come to see? What the fuck is wrong with you? Why can’t you just stop in for a few minutes, I’m sure you get fucking small breaks in between your work. Why the hell would you leave for that long?” I asked getting angry.

“I was busy,” he told.

“You were busy?” I repeated.

“You. Were. Busy.” I said again.

“Busy enough that you ignored my entire existence for a week?” I asked raising my voice. The hell is wrong with him? Does he not understand the concept of mates?

“Do you understand the concept of mates? Mates means that my emotional and physical stability is based solely on you” I told him. “And when you fucking disappear off the face of the fucking earth, I’m miserable. I don’t eat or sleep or talk and it sucks!” I yelled.

“You’re really beautiful” he told me, I couldn’t decide what to say there were so many things running through my mind I just couldn’t speak.

“Wow your timing to finally compliment my physical appearance is great Thayne” I said and stalked and turned my light off and aggressively fixed my blankets before throwing myself down and turning over.

Suddenly Thayne was right in front of my face, “I don’t compliment you because it’s really hard for me to tell you things I think you’re obvious to. I didn’t think anything about telling you something I thought you already knew, I think you’re the most beautiful, gorgeous creature ever created. I haven’t come to see you to keep you safe” he told me.

“Do you mind elaborating?” I asked.

“Some… powerful demons have taken an interest in you” he said hardly clenching his jaw.

“James and Quinn?” I asked, he nodded.

“So how does staying away from me make me more safe than you being with me in case they decide to pop up?” I asked him, he blinked.

“I guess staying here would’ve been more logical,” he said.

“Oh really?” I said sarcastically, his lips curved into a smile, and my breath caught in my throat.

“Night” I said quietly past ready for sleep. I’ve had about 8 hours of sleep for the past week and it’s giving me killer headaches.

“McKenzie”

“Hm?” I replied.

“Can we… Can we cuddle?” he asked hesitantly, I laughed and moved closer bury my head in his neck, he grabbed my waist setting me on top of him connecting his hands behind the small of my back.

I woke up in the same position but my hands were under Thayne’s shirt. I found the energy to sit up so I was straddling him and slide my hands back down his rock chest stopped on his abs because I am a chick, my mate has abs, and I can.