Chapter 10

I ran to him and wrapped my arms around him, he stiffened and froze completely not sure what to do. He finally decided on wrapping his arms around me; mimicking what I was doing.

“Take me somewhere else” I requested burying my face in his shirt and holding my breath I felt a small wave of nausea.

After a few hours of silence I was seated in Thayne’s lap in his chair in his office his arms wrapped securely around me and I took a deep breath.

“Thayne” I said hesitantly.                                                 

“yes” he answered.

“Can demons possess people?” I asked him, he froze underneath me and seemed to stop breathing all together.

“Why?” he asked.

“just answer me” I demanded feeling a small surge of anger that he would question me instead of answering. Immediately fear bubbled in the pit of my stomach at the thought of Thayne seeing that side of me and I quickly buried my anger.

“Demons can only possess beings with no soul” he replied.

“Do- do you think I have a soul?” I asked him.

“You have a soul McKenzie” he told me.

“How do you know?” I asked him pulling away to look at him.

“I know because I can feel it and I can see it in your eyes.” He told me.

“How do you feel souls?” I asked.

“I can feel into the deepest parts of people seeing their true selves” he told me.

“And mine?” I questioned.

“I don’t know” he answered.

“What does that mean?” I asked.

“I don’t look into people’s souls without their permission, I wouldn’t want someone knowing every dark part of me without my consent” he told me.

‘Do you think I'm a bad person?” I asked.

“No” he answered simply. “Why would you ask me a question like that?” he asked me.

“I…” I stopped looking at his face, he was intently studying me “I don’t know” I lied.

“You asked me not to lie you, and now I’m asking you not to lie to me” he said quietly.

“I don’t want you to think I’m disgusting and a despicable person” I told him swallowing hardly.

“McKenzie, you do realize what you’re speaking to, I’m about as despicable as it gets” he told me.

“I beat the shit out of my sisters mate” I told him he looking at me waiting for me to continue probably sensing there was more.

“And something snapped in me and I wanted to kill him” I told him.

“What did he do in order to make you feel that way?” he asked me.

“It wasn’t what he did that made me almost kill him. I wanted to do it, I wanted to hurt him, I wanted to kill him. And when my brother pulled me off I wanted to kill him too. All I wanted to do was slaughter people innocent or not. And when I saw him in blood and could smell it I was… satisfied.” I said my voice disgusted with myself.

“And- and after I was disgusted and ashamed of myself, because. I wanted to do it again. I wanted to kill someone and it didn't matter if they were a threat or were completely innocent I wanted to kill them with my bare hands. And I liked it. A lot. I liked it more than I regretted it.” I finished I looked at Thayne whose intense expression hadn’t changed. I felt relieved he didn't see me as a horrible person or was disgusted with myself as I was.