Chapter Twenty-Six

Chapter Twenty-Six

Tobias Eaton

Everything had gone by so quickly. Tris was torn away from me and thrown to the side, as if she was nothing but a rag doll. I had my hands pinned behind my back. I see Tris being held back by her father as she tries to run toward me. I hear Marcus revealing that Andrew had given him up. The last thing I saw was Tris running toward the car attempting to shoot out the tires. I wake up. The room is dark, it takes a moment for my eyes to adjust. I see the outline of three people. A light flashes on, it's Marcus, Jeanine Matthews, and...it takes me a few minutes to actually believe my eyes. It's Nita.

"Finally, now we can actually have some fun." Marcus says.

He rolls up his sleeves and pulls a chair up in front of me. I have noticed that my arms are bound above my head.

"As you can see, I have resurrected the lovely Jeanine Matthews, for her knowledge of all the serums and research on simulations. Jeanine has information I need, and is gladly willing to help. And I have sought out this lovely lady to help me control the simulations, help with the computers. Then we come to you. You are going to tell me where the resurgence serum is or I will find so many ways to torture you, you can't even start to count what I have in store for you my dear son." Marcus explains to me with a devilish smile.

I simply spit in his face.

"Go fuck yourself." I reply as I glare at Nita.

Nita does everything in her power to keep her eyes adverted from me. Marcus wipes the spit off his face and shakes his head.

"Guess we're going to have to do this the hard way then." He says.

Not even I could prepare myself for what they did next.

-

Beatrice Prior

It had been a full twenty-four hours since I had seen Tobias, I was so scared. What if he was already dead? Or wishing he was dead. I had to save him...I couldn't just let him die. We've been walking for hours now. Will, Caleb, Eric, and my mother were the only people who were accompanying me. I wouldn't let my father come...not after what he had just done.

"I'm coming Tobias." I whisper to myself as our small group continues to trek across the land.

-

Tobias Eaton

I breathe heavily. Marcus had been forcing me to go through my fear landscape over and over again. Heights, Confinement, Killing an Innocent, Killing Tris, Watching Tris die...they were all in there.

"Where is the resurgence serum?" Marcus asks as he paces back and forth across the room.

Sweat is pouring down my face as I'm hunched over, my hands still chained to the ceiling.

"Go to hell." I say as I look up at Marcus.

Marcus simply sighs and nods at Nita. Nita nods back at Marcus and she powered up the machines again. I go back into the fear landscape.

Marcus finally gives up for the day. In all I went through my fear landscape twenty times.

"Well then...let's go with a new approach shall we?" Marcus asks as he walks over to Jeanine and pulls a syringe filled with blue liquid.

Marcus comes toward me, I knew what he was going to do. So to make it better for myself, I kept my head down. I didn't even flinch when the needle pricked my neck.

-

Beatrice Prior

We have been walking the entire day, so we decide to finally set up camp. Caleb, Eric, and I took the first watch. Just as I was dozing off, I started to hear footsteps. I open my eyes expecting to see Eric or Caleb, but it's not.

"Before you kill me, I know where Tobias is. I can help you." She says.

"How do I know your not just spying out here for your radical cult?! Or whatever the hell you associate with these days." I snap back.

It takes all my strength not to lunge forward and strangle her with my bare hands.

"Tris? Who's this?" I hear Eric ask.

"Nita...this is Nita." I reply.