Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen
Tobias Eaton

I wake up in the middle of the night. My body tense...but then I realize Tris is beside me and that I am safe...that we are safe. I lay back down and drift back to sleep.
I awaken once again, but this time I can see the light shining through the windows. Tris isn't beside me anymore. I glance across the room and see her standing in front of a mirror. All. she has on is a tank-top and shorts. She examines her body. I know what she is doing. She has been doing it ever since we brought her back. She is checking for new scars.

" Good Morning... " She says as she sees in the mirror that my eyes are open.

She turns toward me and pulls her shirt back on. She walks over and kneels beside the bed. I feel her thumb brush across my bottom lip...which is only slightly cracked.

" I'll go get breakfast... " She says as she stands up and walks out of the room.

Tris returns about thirty minutes later. She helps me sit up and she rolled something over and set my plate of food on it. There were two pancakes, a sausage link, and scrambled eggs. Tris feeds me. I don't like being babied...but Tris just saved my life so it was the least I could do for her.
After she finishes feeding me and she finishes her own food she sat on the bed beside me. My whole body still ached from being so stiff while I was in the cell. I thought I was a goner for sure, but somehow Tris always manages to find a way.

" Tobias...I need to tell you something. Ever since we escaped from the city I have been having these dreams. In these dreams I can see and talk to all of the loved ones and some of the hated ones I have lost...they keep making me do these tasks and I have, but then you got hurt...I can't do them anymore if it involves you getting hurt. The worse part was that I had to lie to you...Tobias...I'm not pregnant. I'm so sorry and I know that I shouldn't have lied to you. " Tris explains.

I listen closely to every word that has flowed out of her mouth. Then I hear the words ' I'm not pregnant. ' my ears turn off and I feel my face get hot. I want to explode, but I don't want to yell at Tris. My rage is soothed by the cool touch of her fingertips against my hand.

-One Week Later-

My wounds were healing quickly thankfully. It's been about a week since Tris had rescued me from the work camp that my father was holding me prison in. It has also been a week since Tris revealed her false pregnancy.

" Four. " A voice says.

I look up and see Christina walking through the door.

" It's Tris...she's fine, but you really need to see this. " Christina said as she gestured for me to follow her.

I quickly get up and follow Christina. She leads me to the main opening of the Bureau. There I see Tris standing in the middle of the room, people are starting to swarm around her. I have to shove and push my way toward her.

" Tris? What's wrong? What is it? " I ask as I hold her shoulders.

She nods her head forward and then I look.

" Eric. " I say.

" It's good to be back. " He replies.