Chapter Twenty-Three

Beatrice Prior

I wake up in the back of the jeep, the place where I had fallen asleep, before I had another one of the dreams. I had to accept that these dreams were going to be part of me for a while. I wondered how many more had returned. My mother was alive, I knew that because she wasn't there when I was in that familiar white room. Evelyn, Al, and Jeanine were in there. I had wondered why Marcus hadn't decided to resurrect Jeanine yet. I lay my head back down on the pillow and close my eyes, falling back asleep.
-
Tobias Eaton

I constantly remind myself to peek through the window of the jeep, just to make sure Tris is still there. My greatest fear is that this all a dream, and I'm going to wake up and she will actually be gone, forever. She's still there though. She was curled up into a tight ball and wrapped in her blanket.

"She really loves you, you know."
Caleb says as he looks at me and gives a small smile.

"I know, and I love her back just as much." I whisper as I look at Tris one more time, before I turn my attention to Caleb.

"I was with her when Marcus was holding you captive, I didn't leave her side for that whole twenty-four hours. She didn't want to lie to you, but it was the only way she could make an excuse of staying behind, telling you she was pregnant I mean. She wants to start a family with you, Tobias, a brand new one, but..." Caleb trailed off.

"But what?" I ask in a low voice.

"I would wait until this is over...the fight with Marcus, if he figures out that Beatrice is pregnant, he's going to spend every waking second to hunt her down and take her from you, take the last of the family you have...I don't know, all I'm saying is that one of you could still die, all of us can." Caleb says.

I can feel my face getting hotter and hotter by the second. In some ways I'm angered that he is trying to give me advice about Tris when he has screwed up his relationship with her so many times, but then again I am grateful for his advice considering he is her brother, he grew up with her, knows her personality like I do, well he knows the Abnegation side maybe a little better than I do, but not the Dauntless side of Tris.

"What are you pansycakes talking about?" Eric asks as he walked over and sat across from Caleb and I.

I wondered if Eric hated me more than he had before he died...after all I am the one that put the bullet between his eyes. I quickly shook the thought from my head, because Eric was giving us a look because we were taking so long to respond to his question.

"How'd she die? Tris?" Eric asked.

The memory burned in my mind, it would be a memory that would always stay there until the day I die myself.

"She was shot, trying to save us all. I never got to say goodbye to her...my last words to her were 'I love you too...I'll see you soon.' and I did see her, the only thing was she was dead...motionless...my life had no purpose anymore. I wanted to die, I actually thought about it a couple of times..." I trail off.

I feel a warm pair of hands resting on my shoulders. I see Tris. Her eyes a watering up. She must have heard me talking about her dying.

"I'm so sorry I left you Tobias. My Abnegation overpowered my Dauntless...I couldn't let Caleb die...you are my family Tobias, and your my home, but Caleb is my family and my blood...it was the right thing to do. " Tris explains as she leans over and place a kiss on Caleb's cheek.

Caleb pulls her away from me for a moment and hugs her. I don't try and pull her away and back to me. I let her hug him, Tris and Caleb had needed to mend their relationship...and right then, they were mending each other.
-
Beatrice Prior

Tobias, Caleb, Eric, and I spend the rest of the night talking. I had always thought Eric was brutal and hostile, but he had changed, sure he still had the same personality as he had had when he was my trainer during initiation, but he was softer. My head rested on Tobias's leg and his hands were in my hair. I think out of all the people I had been reunited with since they revived me, Tobias has changed the most. He was older, more mature, not that he was childish before, but he took things more serious. Tobias rarely uses a gun...I know exactly why that is. He told me once that his fears had multiplied since I had died. He was no longer Four, The Legendary Dauntless Trainer...no...Tobias had told me that he had twelve fears now. Nine of them always had something to do with me. Some of them were actually my fears, crows, being burned alive, drowning, killing my family...the worst part of that one was I was his family.

Soon Caleb and Eric fell asleep. Tobias and I were laying on the ground, my head on his chest. We stared up at the stars.

"I couldn't look at the stars while you were dead." Tobias confesses.

"Why?" I ask in a hushed tone not wanting to wake anyone.

"Because looking at anything beautiful reminded me of you. Tris I was depressed, six out of the seven days of the week I would sit in a chair at the end of the day and contemplate whether or not I should put a bullet in my head. End the pain. Be with you. It was so hard Tris...you have no idea how much it hurt." Tobias said in a shaky voice, he was crying, or about to cry.

I lean up and press my lips to his. He moves his arm so that it cradles my head carefully as he kisses me back. We continued to kiss for a couple more minutes until I broke away.

"I'm here...I'm never going to leave you ever again. Okay?" I ask.

"Okay."
•••
A/N

Here you are, the long awaited Chapter Twenty-Three. Enjoy. Vote and Comment :)