13- We All Hide Things

Start from the beginning

Seeing Kiaan quiet Dhruv asks, "What's cooking in your head, Naan?"

He shakes his head trying to dodge the question. "I'm your brother, I know when you're down. Tell me." Dhruv presses once again.

"Ariel." The word come out of his mouth making Dhruv smile.

"Ariel's cooking inside your head?" He laughs slapping his hand on Kiaan's back. He rolls his eyes. "I like her. She's different, maybe because she shows you your real spot."

"She lied. And you know I hate liars." Kiaan's voice is cold causing his brother to turn mute. "She told the class that I pushed her inside the pool two years ago just so she'd drown. Doesn't she realise how horrible it sounds? Like I wanted to kill her or something? I mean who says that? She's fifteen now for god sake. And what's the point of bringing up the topic when it's been a year?" His family, and friend knew how much he hates lies.

"Probably because she found you annoying these few days? I mean look, dude, she loves cake and you knew she won't eat the egg on Thursday's yet you brought cake for her. That's torture." Dhruv didn't take anything seriously when it comes to Jaanvi and Kiaan.

"I'm being serious Dhruv. And what's wrong in bringing cake on a Thursday? She doesn't eat egg on Thursdays so that's not my fault. I was craving it so," he shrugs. Everyone knew he purposely brought the cake that day to take revenge.

"But I hate her. What she said might not mean a lot to you or others but to me it does. Swimming is my passion. How can she lie? I wouldn't do anything like that to harm her. I do argue and fight with her but trying to kill her? God. No. Never. I can't even think about it. I hate her for this. For accusing me. For lying. For being an idiot." He promises himself to never talk to her ever again, eyes looking straight ahead.

"You'll end up talking to her in a day," Dhruv smirks.

"I won't," He replies with full confidence. Dhruv narrows his eyes at his brother. Kiaan fixes his eyes on Dhruv saying, "We're leaving India, that's why."

Kiaan wanted to say a proper bye—to break the news to her—but what happened today changed everything. He doesn't want to say goodbye now.

Flashback Ends

"That does not mean that I don't care about her." Dhruv chuckles hearing Kiaan's words. His seventeen-year-old self would argue with him. This laugh was making him feel awkward so he adds,

"She's a human being. I'm nice to humans?"

"Sure, sure, sure"

"But seriously Yuv, something happened. And uncle raising his hand on Jaanvi looks and sounds so strange. Remember how worried he was when she got hurt when we were playing together at six?"

"Don't remember"

"You wouldn't because you were six too. He was so worried so slapping her is out of the question." He mutters thoughtfully, looking at Dhruv. "Something is wrong, I need to do something."

Dhruv yawns before speaking, "Yeah, do that something later. I want to sleep right now. Drive, Naan." He closes his eyes leaning his head back on the seat. Kiaan slightly smiles seeing his little brother's peaceful face.

____

"You know you were wrong." Jaanvi's grandma shouts at Rashi.

Rashi's brown eyes rose looking at her grandma in sadness. "H-how was I wrong?" She asks sadly looking at the old lady and pouts. Her grandma was furious.

Ansh's mother was on the verge of slapping Rashi but tries to calm herself down. "Every time Juhi says something to my Jaanvi, you're always behind it and then behave like everything's her fault. I'm not going to get trapped in your false drama again." She yells on top of her lungs pointing at Rashi who looks annoyed hearing the truth.

She was so used to playing the victim card. And Jaanvi—with the personality she has—it's pretty easy to target her and make her look like the bad guy.

"This isn't true," Juhi speaks angrily walking up to her mother-in-law.

Ansh was just sitting on the couch with his hands covering his face with Sunil sitting next to him calming him down. He doesn't have the energy to deal with this with his daughter away from home.

"I remained quiet for years! Not now." The eldest women of the family scream glaring at Juhi,

"You've always taunted my Jaanvi just because you're jealous. You're jealous because you know that she's much more talented, beautiful and intelligent than your daughter Rashi. I know it for sure that you must have said something to make her anger Rashi, so speak up."

For years the old women didn't interfere between her grandchildren or Juhi scolding Jaanvi but now she blames herself for remaining mute, as her granddaughter quoted.

"D-dadi I—" (Grandma)

"Don't." She raises her hand stopping Rashi "Why was Jaanvi angry, huh? What did you say to her that she lost her temper? My child has been so calm and bravely dealt with her anger for months then how can she suddenly lose it? You all know she has temper problem yet you all use it against her and play the victim card. How can you use her disadvantage to your advantage? I'm disgusted in all of you." Her face shows how disappointed she is.

"We don't Dadi!" Jay finally speaks up standing next to his sister who was crying now. (Grandma)

"If anything happens to my Jaanvi, I won't forgive you all. God knows where Jaanvi or Aditi must be. Aditi's parents are out of the city, what if they come to know their daughter is out late at night, oh god. What'll I say to them?" Their grandma cried holding her head. Ansh forgot to inform his mother about Kiaan's text.

But isn't it the truth? Juhi is jealous of Jaanvi in every possible way. Jaanvi's grandma noticed this years ago but stayed quiet for the family's peace but today, she couldn't. She just couldn't hold the ache in her old heart.

"You did this Ansh!" She blames her son who rose his teary eyes to meet his mother. "How can you teach her by raising your hand? Every time she made the wrong decisions you always showed her the right path without hitting her then why? You slapped your twenty-five-year-old daughter, who's meant to be married in less than a month, Ansh. Ishaani wouldn't like this. What wrong did she say? This house is hers. You paid every amount of it. A girl has every right on her father's income and property."

The truth was venom to Juhi and her children's ears. They want to silence the old women. Her words hurt every person inside the room. Sunil because his mother said the bitter truth about Ansh owning the house.

Juhi because it was the truth, bitter truth that she used to run away from. She knew this was Ansh's house. Ansh was an innocent fool for her, who she controlled with her sweet words. She knew she had to stay in this house or else she has no other place to go with her family.

Jay and Rashi were hurt and their ego was bruised because their grandma was taking Jaanvi's side.

His mother's words were like daggers hitting his heart. She was right, he did wrong. He realised it but it's too late.

Jaanvi might forgive him but he knew for a fact, she'll never forget it.

Married My Enemy
Edited On – 29/04/2020 (5:44 p.m)