Part One Hundred Twenty-One: Long Time No See

Annik and her husband invited us to come visit them soon. At the latest when the baby arrived. She was such a sweet person and I wished she could move to LA with us. You may never have enough best friends.

....

Well, we had to pack our bags eventually. The flights were payed and we were taking off the next day.

....

I snuggled to John's side the whole time. Apparently, flying is not much fun with the last night's hangover. He was giving my head gentle kisses every now and then and when I fell asleep again, he took out his notebook and scribbled down some lyrics.

That was a new thing for him to do. Although he had written before, now he was doing it every spare minute. I had told him he had the talent for it after I heard the songs he had written about me. He was becoming a real artist and I loved it.

...

When we arrived in our Venice home, we unpacked and had dinner together. John was gonna meet up with Bill and I decided to drive home for a couple of days. To see my mom and Vito to whom I promised to help with his flat search.

I went through my closet and picked out the stuff that was left. John walked through the room and grinned. "You look desperate", he said.  "Nothing to wear", I mumbled. "Typical girl problem. But you know you can always wear my stuff", he said and opened his closet door and took out the red shirt I had picked out for him in the Vintage Store on our first date.

"This would make a nice dress on you", he said and held it in front of my body. "Oh shut up, John", I said and rolled my eyes. "You're not even much taller than me", I added. He ruffled my hair and smiled. "Of course I am, little one", he said.

"Alright. I might not kill your ego. I'll just shut up", I said and poked out my tongue. "You better, babe", he said and looked to the clock on the wall. "Well, I better get going. Take everything you need, alright? I love you, babe", he said and took my hand and kissed it.

I smiled. "I love you, too. Will you miss me when I'm gone?", I asked.

"Of course. I mean...who's gonna do the laundry now?", he asked and I hit his arm before he kissed me.

....

It was already dark outside when I drove to Anaheim in my car. I had the Nirvana tape in again. I just never put it out. Damn, I'll have to see them in concert, I thought.

The lights in the kitchen were still on when I parked my car in my mom's front yard. She was having a late snack and was about to watch a movie on the couch with her highschool friend Greta.

She suggested I could join them but I told her she probably had a lot to talk to her friend about. "That's a gentle way to tell me you don't wanna hang with your mom, kiddo", she playfully said and I smirked.

"I'll be at Stephani's house, mom. Don't wait for me. Maybe I'll even crash there. You may never know what happens when you hang with Gwen and Vito", I said.

She was mashing the guacamole and looked to me with raised brows. "Vito, huh? You're talking about that Jones boy ? He's a cutie", she said and I rolled my eyes.

"Moooom. I've got a boyfriend", I said.

"I'm just saying", she said and nudged my shoulder.

I picked up two bottles from our wine cellar and the papers from the last days and took them to Stephani's to look for a new flat for Vito.

...

I was getting excited when I rang the doorbell. I missed these guys. After a few moments I heard some yelling and someone rushing down the stairs.

When the door opened, Jill, Gwen's younger sister, was standing right in front of me, in her pajamas. I instantly had to think of her and John kissing and my heart stopped.

I just looked at her as I stopped in  my tracks. I hadn't seen her in a while. She was still 14.

But she looked much more mature, naturally beautiful. I had always liked her. She reminded me of Gwen a lot with her quirkyness and all. Now I didn't know what to say to her.

"Kaya", she said.

"Hi Jill", I said and smiled. I couldn't blame this on her. She didn't know about him and me. Keep calm, Kaya.

Jill looked nervous, too. She started playing with her hands and looking around and avoiding eye contact.

"I'm so sorry for kissing John. So sorry", she said and she truly looked like she was. But I was still lost for words.