Part Ninety-Eight: Keep it Cool

I tried to keep it cool, but as soon as everyone was gone, I rushed outside and to the old oak tree I used to lean against as a child as I was fighting with my parents or feeling down in general.

I let myself sink to the ground and lit a cigarette that I inhaled so fast, I could almost feel the damage it was doing to my lungs. It made me cough but at least that was distracting me from the shit that was going on.

After three cigarettes, I just let the tears stream down my face. I quickly wiped them away with my sleeve, got up and ran to the next payphone to call Stefani's house.

"Gwen's at Vito's place. He's throwing a house party. I'll tell her to pick you up", Eric said.

"Can't you pick me up and we'll go to that party together? I need some distraction", I begged.

"Um. Yeah.. sure. If that's what you want", he said and I affirmed.

As Eric parked his car down the street and we walked up to the house, Gwen came running up to me and took me into a hug, whispering into my ear. "I'm so sorry. Eric told me. Your parents are divorcing?"

"Um.. no.. I think I exaggerated. But I think they will sooner or later."

"Oh baby.. I'm so sorry..", she said and stroked my head.

She took me by the hand and up to Vito's room where we had some quiet space to talk. I told her everything that had happened. And about the letter from my ex boyfriend, too. She listened patiently even though she was clearly a little drunk already. But just having her listen helped.

"Are you gonna go talk to Vince? His story sounds really rough", she said.

I shrugged. "I really liked him.. before he went away from me. Obviously. I mean.. we were a couple. I don't know. I think I owe it to him. Or to myself. I think I'll call him tomorrow."

Gwen suggested I could sleep at her place tonight and I said yeah. She just left the room to get us drinks when it opened only a minute or so later. "Wow... You're quick", I said.

But it wasn't her walking inside. It was Vito.

He looked around confused. "Uhh.. hey Kaya?"

"Um.. hi.. I'm sorry. I didn't just walk into your room like that. Gwen took me.. because.. I.. needed to talk to her."

"It's okay.. I'm just surprised to see you", he said and rested his hand on his neck.

"I came to visit my parents. But things happened and I needed to break out.. you know?"

"Yeah.. I guess", he said and sat down next to me which made me blush.

"But I don't wanna talk about it", I quickly added.

"I wasn't gonna make ya."

"I'm sorry"

"Why?"

"I don't know", I said and started sobbing. He quickly moved closer and put his arm around my back.

"Hey.. don't cry", he whispered while stroking my back lightly.

I leaned my head on his shoulder. "Should I look for Gwen?", he clumsily asked. 

"No", I whispered. "Just stay here."

He leaned against his bed frame and I stayed there with my head on his shoulder and enjoyed the silence. It was so quiet and he was so warm. And there was no trouble. I almost fell asleep when the door bounced open once more.

"I'm sorry this guy wouldn't stop talking to-...", Gwen said and my head shot up. Her mouth stood open as I caught her look.

"Uh.. did I.. what did I miss here? This is.. it's not a thing? You didn't?", she stuttered.