Part Fifty-Seven: Underneath It All

"Oh.. hi dad.. I wanted to speak to mom, is she around?" I was confused to hear my dad's voice. It felt funny. I was mad at him. Actually.. I kind of despised him for doing what I thought he did to my mom. "Kaya.. Don't put me off like that. I haven't talked to you for ages. How are you honey?" "I'm good. I really wanted to speak to mom." "Um.. okay.. sure. I'll have a look if she's around. Hold on a sec..", he said and put the phone down. "Barb?... Are you home?... Yeah.. it's Kaya... No.. on the phone.. Will you please just come?.." I sighed. He sounded so annoyed. "Hun? I'll hand her to you, okay? Bye, love you." "Bye dad."

"Kaya, sweetie. Are you okay?", my mom said. "Yeah.. I just wanted to check on you." "Oh, you're so thoughtful. Let me just step outside, okay?" "Sure."

I heard a door shut. "So.. how are you doing? How are things with you and dad?" She sighed. "Quite okay. We've decided to do a couples therapy. Could you imagine your dad to be pouring his heart out in front of a couch doctor?" I chuckled. "Me neither", my mom said. "But he's trying real hard lately. And I think we can work it out, don't worry little one." "That's good to hear."

"Isn't it? Hey sweetie.. you do remember Lawrence?" "That LA director?" "Yeah, yeah. Right. I was gonna visit him the weekend after next. Maybe we could spend some time, too?" "That sounds lovely." "It does. So Kaya, I'm afraid I gotta go. My knitting course is starting. Bye my love." "Bye mom."

Phew! I was relieved to hear things were alright-ish with my mom and dad. I hoped so badly they would sort things out. Not because I wanted her to stay with my dad.. who's probably cheated on her. But because I knew, deep down she always wanted to have a stable family, a home, something safe and trusted. And she loved my dad. She loved to be loved by him.

Maybe he will see that, too. Maybe he will be able to be conten with the home he got. With my mom who loved him and their little house and our dog Ringo and their children. Oh god.. I was pretty sure my dad was in a midlife crisis. Why does that have to happen to men? Why can't they see how lucky they are?

I listened to my messages. I had two missed calls by Lara. She was miserable. I knew she wouldn't swallow her break up just like that. I called her back and encouraged her to go to that "we're going on the road now say bye-bye"-party. "I really think you need to put that behind with him properly. Plus.. you will wanna say bye to the rest of the guys." "Yeah.. sure. You're right."

I put down the phone and head to John's place. He was not home. But someone else was. I could hear it from outside.

A confused looking guy stood in the middle of the room. He wore ripped jeans and a shirt that desperately needed to be washed. My first thought was that a homeless had occupied his place. I stood there and looked at him for a few seconds. And he did so, too. Somehow I wasn't afraid of him. He had a sympathetic aura around him.

"Oh hi, Froosh's sweetheart?", he finally said. "Uh.. I'm Kaya." "Yeah right, Froosh's sweetheart. I'm Bill." Ok.. I change my mind... Dickhead. "Hi Bill", I said and knit my eyebrows. "Are you one of those bra burners that John hangs out with lately?" What the hell?! "I think fighting for womens rights is a good thing. If that makes me a bra burner. Yeah.. sure."

"Hey, don't be so feisty. No offense. Fru talks about you all the time so I thought I could get to know you." "And that's the way you get to know someone. By calling them someones sweetheart and asking if they're a bra burner. Good one." He smiled cheekily. "You're exactly his type." I hated him already. But he made me blush. And that made me hate him even more. Gosh..

"So.. do you know when John's gonna be home?", I asked. He shrugged. "No clue. I was actually waiting for you.. Well I hoped you'd be there", he said. My god.. he was creeping me out. Does John have normal friends? First Gibby..now that dude.

"Why exactly?" "John's turning 19 on Sunday and I thought we could organize a little something for him." Oh shoot! Why the hell didn't I know? I felt bad instantly. He chuckled. "You didn't know?" I frowned. "No.. he didn't tell me." "Could've guessed", he shrugged. I knit my eyebrows."Why?" "I think he wouldn't want a party. He never tells anyone. I didn't know last year. Only until random people called at our house. Crazy shit." I nodded. Sounded like John.

"Ok.. so.. we could plan tomorrow. I can come home early from work. And I think the Chilis have a TV appearance in the late afternoon. Um.. do you have a present for him?", I asked. "Nah.. we can pick something up together." "Great.. so.. I guess John will be here any second. See you tomorrow?" "Bye bra burner", he waved his hand and smirked. I rolled my eyes at him. "Bye creep." Bill laughed and made me smile, too. Maybe he was not that bad of a guy after all.