Twenty-Six: A Ravager Funeral

*****

*****

Showers were the best, and to our delight, this huge Ravager starship actually had showers on board. Changing out of the fireproof suit, I eyed the extra clothing we found.

For some damn reason, these cargo pants and flight jacket just stuck out to me. Without really meaning to, I put them on nodding my head at my reflection. Happy with my appearance, I waltzed out of the bathroom, shoulders sagging when I remembered it was time to put Yondu to rest.

And so, that's where all of us Guardians stood five minutes later. Toward the front of the ship, Yondu's body was lying on a table, all seven of us Guardians surrounding him. My eyes watered as Peter placed the last of Yondu's favorite figurines surrounding him.

"I told Gamora on how when I was a kid, I used to pretend David Hasselhoff was my dad," Peter started in a low, shaky voice standing at the head of Yondu's body. Not knowing who David Hasselhoff was, Rocket, Drax, and I all shared an unsure glance. Peter seeing this elaborated for us. "He's a singer and actor from Earth, a really famous guy."

Earth. I had never been there and yet, why did I feel as if I had a home there?

Drax nodded slowly, while Gamora gazed at him in raw admiration and sadness. I watched Peter knowing how brave he was to go on, how unfair it was for Yondu to be taken away like that.

"Earlier, it struck me; Yondu didn't have a talking car, but he did have a flying arrow. He didn't have the beautiful voice of an angel, but he did have the whistle of one..." I smiled at his words, looking over Yondu's blue form. I wish I got to know him better. "Both Yondu and David Hasselhoff went on kick-ass adventures, hooked up with hot women, and fought robots..." Peter paused, myself placing a comforting hand on his shoulder. "I guess David Hasselhoff did end up being my dad after all, and it was you, Yondu." Peter sucked in a breath, Gamora grabbing his hand as Peter cried.

"I did have a pretty cool dad, sometimes the thing you're searching for your whole life is right there by your side all along, and you don't even know it..." It was silent for moments, myself watching Nebula in the doorway crossing her arms.

Nebula looked slightly familiar, and yet I couldn't place my finger on why. Gamora looked at Nebula as well, delivering a kiss to Peter's cheek before running after Nebula who left.

________
________

I sighed from where I sat by the window. Everyone surrounded Yondu and me as Drax slowly rolled Yondu's body out the window, myself holding up my hands as I incinerated his body to colorful ash which floated out the window and into the beautiful galaxy.

Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed Kraglin and Peter speaking. I was too focused on incinerating Yondu's body without burning him all at once that I didn't listen in on whatever the two were talking about.