Eight: Count Dracula

TRANSYLVANIA, 1456

TRANSYLVANIA, 1456

"River..." I groaned when the shakes and shrieks of the TARDIS finally came to a conclusion, signaling we had landed. "What's a Transylvania, and why do you need to be here?" I shakily stood, gripping the console as I went.

River herself was already standing, muttering curses to the TARDIS. "Damn you girl, we don't need the Doctor to not get hurt." River told the TARDIS in a slightly scolding tone, only get an aggressive whirring noise in return.

Shaking herself she turned to me with a smile, holding up a small leather bag. "This bag contains a small sum of pure silver, I'm simply the delivery girl delivering this to a man named Vlad the III. I needed the TARDIS to safely get me to the exact location, I don't trust my vortex manipulator with something this important, plus the TARDIS is far more interesting." River explained while leading me down the hall passing by both mine and the Doctor's bedroom doors.

"Hmm." I hummed. "So, I get to accompany you on this trip, then?" River smiled in response nodding.

"Yes, which is quite the relief, I don't trust vampires." She stated, my eyes widening at her words.

"Vampires!" I yelped as she opened the door to a room I had never been in.

Inside was a sight which I hadn't expected, racks upon racks full of clothes from different time periods and different societies. Shelves filled with any type of shoe a person could think of lined the walls, and accessories of sorts were stuck next to the shelves. A few different vanities sat on walls, makeup sitting innocently on the vanities. Finally, a huge mirror stood ideally at the very end of the huge room taking up the entire wall.

"Welcome to the costume room!" River shouted with a smile doing a small twirl. "Any clothing you could possibly need is in here, I figured considering the mission we're on it'd be best to at least try and blend in. We're not trying to catch anyone's attention, the last thing we need is the Doctor somehow finding out." River mumbled the last part as she took off in search of clothing.

"Hold on, vampires? In Transylvania?" I questioned following after her, watching as she tossed multiple items to the ground.

River wrinkled her nose when she pulled out a brown trench coat, throwing it to the ground. "Oh yes, sorry, I forget you're not up to date with Earth's history." River turned to me. "Let me start from the beginning." She added, turning back to look over the clothing.

"In the year 1442, the Turkish sultan enslaved one-thousand Transylvanian boys to fill the ranks of his army. These child slaves were beaten without mercy, trained to kill without conscience, to crave the blood of all who defied the Turks. From among these boys, one grew into a warrior so fierce that entire armies would retreat in terror at the mere mention of his name." River spoke in a brooding sort of tone.

"His name, Vlad the Impaler, son of the Dragon. Sickened by his own monstrous deeds, Vlad came to bury his past with the dead and returned to Transylvania to rule in peace. His subjects called him Prince, but the world would come to know him as Dracula. The reason behind this being that after Vlad had a wife and son, the sultan once again called for one-thousand boys to serve his army, Vlad's son included. Vlad didn't want this, and so he refused, his refusal started a war with the Turkish empire. Knowing his kingdom stood no chance, Vlad ran to the only place he knew he could get the strength to beat the Turks. The Darkness."