Chapter 9.

"I love you, Danielle."

My eyes shoot open and I curse under my breath. Why did I have to wake up? Why can't I just live in some fantasy world for the rest of my life? Because this is reality, that's why. I roll over and place a soft kiss on his chest.

"I'm going for a swim.." I whisper as if he can hear me. I quickly change into my bathing suit and make my way towards the beach.

Its late again, but early enough for the sun to be rising. The warm Florida breeze hits my skin and I smile. It feels just like California, but I don't miss Cali one bit, to be completely honest. I walk to the water, only close enough for it to cover my feet.

"Danielle?" I keep my attention focused on the water under me. I give my body a slight turn to acknowledge his presence. "Why are you up so early?"

"I told you I coulnd't sleep." A small laugh escapes my lips. He moves to beside me and nods. "And you?"

"My minds wonders..." He trails off with an amused tone in his voice.

"Funny." I give him a smile.

"But, to answer your question honestly, I like watching the sun rise. Its kind of my thing now, I guess. I usually do it with Kate, but she's gotten to where she likes to sleep in." He shoves his hands into his pockets, pulling out a folded piece of paper.

"What's that?" Curiosity killed the cat.

"Its something I wrote.. nothing really." He takes a glance at the piece of paper and quickly shoves it back into his pocket.

"Oh, okay."

"You want to get some breakfast? I think the breakfast bar is open now." He raises an eyebrow and smiles. "We could talk about the book?"

"Sure." I nod my head and smile.

*

"She did not!" I'm laughing uncontrollably and I'm starting to remember why I fell for him.

"I swear! And all I was trying to do was help her cross the road! She would have been hit by a truck if it weren't for me. I should have just let the old geezer go by herself." He laughs, taking a bite of his eggs.

"Oh, come on, Norm." I give him a pouty lip and frown. "That's not very nice. She might have been rude, but at least she lived."

"Yeah, yeah." He smiles. "What about you? Do you have any funny stories?"

"Nope, not that I can remember. I'm a boring person, to be honest." I take a deep breath and sigh.

"No you're not." He protests. "Just because you don't have any funny stories to tell, doesn't mean you're a boring person."

"Well thanks, Norman." I smile and he gives me a wink.

"There you two are!" Ryan and Katherine say in unison. "We figured you two were swimming or something." Ryan kisses my cheek and goes over to the bar, grabbing a plate and piling it with food.

"Nope. Well, I did go out early this morning, but I never got in." He nods. "I couldn't sleep again."

"I'm sorry, baby. Maybe you're missing home? I know I am." He sits his plate on the table and pulls up a chair. "Did you eat already?"

"Yep." I smile. "Katherine, how did you sleep?"

"Fine. It was cold.." She sends Norman a glare and I laugh. ".. but other than that, I slept wonderfully."

"Great." I smile and take a sip of my now cold coffee.

"So, I was thinking.." Ryan pauses and takes a bite of his muffin.

"You were thinking..?" Katherine speaks.

"I was thinking for our last night here, we should go out. Have a few drinks, dance a little, just have some fun." He shrugs his shoulders and Norman and Katherine smile. 

"Yes. Absolutely yes!" Norman says with a smile. "Danielle?" 

"Um, yeah sure."

*

"God, this song is so old!" Katherine shouts over the loud bass. Last time I was in a club, I ran into Norman.. "I'm gonna go dance before I get too drunk!" She slurs her words together and I can't help but laugh. 'The Sweet Escape' by Gwen Stefani blares through the speakers. Can't they play something good? 

"Having fun?" Norman places a hand on my lower back and suddenly I'm feeling uncomfortable. I move away slightly, moving my hips to the beat to make it less obvious. 

"No." I answer truthfully. "Last time I was in a club I encountered you." I shrug my shoulders and ask the Bartender for a shot of something strong. "But, after I get a few of these in me.." I quickly tilt my head back and swallow the shot. "..I'll be having more fun than anyone else in this place." 

"You want to dance?" He points his finger in the air, gesturing me to listen to the song. The music has finally changed to something good 'Lil Freak' by Usher plays and I'm instantly hooked. I smile widely and smile. 

"Ryan won't mind?" I question myself out loud and Norman shrugs his shoulders. 

"Katherine won't mind?" He mocks my words and smiles. "Come on." He grabs my hand tightly in his and pulls me to the middle of the floor. 

Our bodies start  moving in sync, just like they're suppose to. The music is now louder, and my body is numb. I let loose and forget the fact that he's engaged, that I'm with Ryan. I turn myself around, placing my arms around his neck. My eyes are screwed shut, my head rolls back and my mouth falls slightly agape. I need to stop. I need to get out of his grip, walk myself back to the bar, and sit quietly until Ryan comes to find me, but I can't. 

"Looks like they're doing the same.." Norman's demeanor totally changes. I follow his gaze and my cheeks become heated. 

"I guess so." I say, shaking my head at the sight. His arms are tightly around her waist, her hands are plated in his hair, their lips are connected and they're moving roughly to the beat. They slowly stop when the song changes. He smiles into the kiss, nudging her nose with his. 

"Come on, Danielle." Norman pulls me away from the scene. "They're drunk, in the morning they won't remember anything. We were dancing the same way."

"We weren't kissing! We weren't as close together as they were!" I shout, removing myself from his grip. "I'm leaving!"

"You're drunk, too! You can barely walk straight, how do you expect to back to the room?" He follows closely behind, placing a hand on my elbow. 

"I'll take a cab." I reach the door and quickly walk out. The warm breeze hitting my face like a Semi hitting a building. 

"Not by yourself, I'm going with you." He protests. "Or we can walk.. Let's walk down the shore, we'll find the hotel eventually." 

"No! I'm not walking!" I whine, crossing my arms like a child. 

"You can walk or I can carry you, you're choice. You need to sober up." He tilts his head to one side, waiting for my response. 

"Fine, I'll walk." I shake my head and chuckle. "You're still so bossy."

"And you still can't handle your liquor. Some things never change." He places an arm around my waist and I embrace it. 

"I'm glad you came, Norm." I whisper. I hear his heart start beating faster and I smile to myself. 

"I'm glad I came too, Danielle." He kisses the top of my head. 

"Can we just sit? I feel like I might get sick." I frown and he shakes his head. He sits down first, patting the ground beside him. Because of this man, I'm afraid. I'm afraid to be happy and I'm afraid to love, but because of this man, I've learned how to love, I've learned how to not be afraid, I've learned how to fight. I love him for that. "Hey, Norm?" 

"What?" His eyes scan my face, but soon they find a safe place in mine. 

"Do you ever wish she was me?"