chapter 9 - The Bear King

*Since this episode was purely based on Merida and her people, Ruby and Mulan, Zelena and Arthur, I decided not to write the entire chapter in this story since it would be exactly the same, except for the flashback where Ruby says goodbye to Snow in Granny's. In the Enchanted Forest and Storybrooke, Freya was also very close friends with Red so I decided she should have a goodbye to her friend as well.*

Flashback - 3.22 "There's No Place Like Home"

Storybrooke

Night - Granny's Diner

Snow and David had just revealed to everyone that they were naming their baby Neal after Baelfire. Ruby was standing away from everyone, looking upset, alone. Snow and Freya walked over to talk.

Snow crossed her arms. "What is it?"

Ruby turned to face them. "What's what?"

"Well, we just defeated Faye and Zelena, and Lisa, Ella, Hook and I survived a time travel adventure that you, Snow, David, Tori, Saphira, Mathias, Jefferson, Grace, my father, Regina and Alcina, and past versions of me, Hook and Lisa, were all apart of, and you're, what, the new bathroom attendant?" Freya asked teasingly.

"What's going on?" Snow asked. "What's wrong?"

"I'm fine," Ruby lied. Snow and Freya gave her a look. Ruby sighed. "Okay, look, ever since we got back to Storybrooke, I felt like I haven't... fit in. And at first I thought it was because of the Curse, but now that it's been broken, I..."

"Because you're the only one of your kind here," Freya realized.

Ruby shrugged, conflicted. "Maybe. I don't know. I... yeah, probably. I just... I want to find more people like me. So I've been helping Tiny work on his burnt out fields, back when we thought we were gonna have to escape Faye and Zelena, and, we haven't had much luck, but we did manage to grow this."

Ruby showed them a magic bean.

Snow nodded in understanding. "You want to go back to the Enchanted Forest."

"Please don't try to stop me," Ruby told them. "I know you think I'm crazy."

Freya shook her head, embracing Ruby suddenly, causing her to smile in surprise and return the embrace. "I'm the crazy one out of the three of us, remember?"

Ruby chuckled, smiling. "Yeah, I remember."

Snow smiled, also giving Ruby a hug. "I think you need to do what makes you happy."

Freya nodded in agreement. "We both do."

"Really?" Ruby asked.

"You are our friend," Snow told her. "What else could we possibly want for you? It doesn't mean I'm not gonna miss you."

Freya chuckled. "Not as much as I'll miss you."

Ruby smiled at this reaction from them, and though she was nervous about leaving here, she wanted to find more of her kind, though not knowing she wouldn't. "I'll miss you, too."

And though Snow and Freya were sad to say goodbye to their friend, they were happy with the thought that she could try and find more people like her and find a way to find a place to call home.