Something was off.

I signalled to her to be quiet before I opened her door and went out to the hallway, lurking at the top of the stairs. There I saw a woman open the door and standing on the outside were two police officers.

Fuck. I guess I made a good call coming here this early. I crept back to the room and locked the door behind me keeping my voice down, "The cops are here to take you."

Her eyes widened, filling with fresh tears and I placed a hand over her mouth to stop her from making a sound, "We can leave now before they get up here, so get your stuff and follow me."

She nodded, and I watched her go. She added some more things to the bag and I went over to the window making a sharp whistle. Hoody stepped out from behind a tree and I took the bag from her, tossing it down to him.

"Wait," She said with a tug on my shirt, "I need to call someone."

"Not now." I took her hand and pulled her over to the window.

She was biting on her lower lip as she looked over into the yard.

"Go," I said, "If anything he'll catch you."

She carefully climbed out the window, gripping the ledge tightly as she tried to get down. It was taking too long and I grabbed her hands, pushing them off. She let out a squeak as she fell and landed in Hoodie's arms, who flawlessly caught her. I wondered if that sound would alert anyone. As I was about to leave through the window there came a knock at the door.

"Kit? Honey are you up yet?"

I grimaced and made my way down as Hoody slung her over his shoulder, carrying her bag with his other hand. I didn't object, she would probably slow us down if we made her walk.

"This is crazy!" She whisper-shouted, looking at me from her position over his shoulder as we took an unused path through the trees heading into the woods, "What are we gonna do now? Live in hiding for the rest of our lives? I don't even have any money. What are we gonna eat? Where are we g-"

"Fuck, you're annoying," I remarked, cutting her off and I watched her expression melt into a pout.

"And you're kidnapping me."

"Didn't you say you had someone to call? Who is it?"

"M-my best friend," She said softly.

Hoodie grunted and I shook my head, "That's not a good idea."

"She already knows everything. I just wanna see her one last time to say goodbye."

I let out a sigh. If there was someone else out there who knew about us, I couldn't let it slide. Her friend would have to go.

"Alright call her," I felt for the knife I kept in the waistband of my pants, "Does she have a car?"

She nodded, "Yeah, a nice one."

Good, after I got rid of her friend we could use it to get out of town until I decided what my next move was.

She reached behind her and got the phone out of her back pocket, dialing the number and putting the device to her ear.

That's when I heard footsteps somewhere to my right. Someone was trailing us.

They were trying to be stealthy, but I'd trained myself to listen for even the slightest of movements and it was already clear to me who it was.

I stopped walking, listening intently before calling out, "Toby, what the fuck are you still doing here?"

After a few beats his head peeked out from behind a tree before he stepped into view fully, twitching a bit as he did, "I s-said I wasn't leaving d-didn't I?"