Vanilla's Story Chapter 3

Vanilla's face hit cement over and over. People were shouting. Vanilla didn't move. She laid there limp, wet, and barely alive.

"Huh? W-where am I?" Vanilla sat up looked around as tons of people were shouting at a very large man. He was rather big, with a monocle. Vanilla suspected he was the mayor. There were people with signs, but she couldn't read them.

Obviously people thought that the mayor let this panic all happen.

Vanilla thought. Why are they all making a huge deal over one tiny kitten? Then Vanilla realized that she was lost in the streets of Chicago.

"Oh no! What happened? Where's my home?" Vanilla was concerned about her surroundings. She set off for her journey back home.

"Mom! Where's Vanilla?" A child cried.

"I'm sure that she just went on a walk and she'll be back before you know it." The mother tried to coax her child.

"Coffee!! What did you do with Vanilla?" Bean hissed at Coffee.

"Oh her, didn't lay a paw on her." He retaliated at Bean irritated.

"Y-you did something to her. I know you did!" Bean's fur was now stained with tears.

"Alright. Maybe I did, maybe I didn't." Coffee was becoming more agitated with Bean.

"Coffee tell me now!! Where is she?!" Bean hissed at Coffee, obviously threatening him.

"Oh she'll be fine... That is if she doesn't mind water." His mouth took shape to an mischievous smile. Bean felt as if her breath had just been taken away. Bean stood there her jaw gaping wide open as a vision of Vanilla went through her mind.

As Vanilla made her way along the river she had awoken from, she saw why so many people were protesting. Along the shore was more abandoned cats and dogs than you could imagine.

"W-why?" Vanilla asked herself. She gazed around then her eye set on one familiar cat. She slowly walked over the the she-cat. The she-cat turned her head their eyes meeting for merely a second. The she-cat looked at the ground then Vanilla and back and forth. Finally Vanilla spoke.

"H-hello. I am Vanilla. What's your name?" She mewed quietly.

"Hi,"This she-cat spoke with a lot more confidence than Vanilla had. "I am Noel. Nice to meet you."

Vanilla's eyes widened. She shouted and pounced playfully onto Noel. "NOEL!" Noel was surprised by the pounce.

"Yeah, that's my name. What... is it?" She said struggling to get Vanilla off her. Vanilla blushed feeling embarrassed.

"Oh yeah. I didn't even say it yet. Woops," Vanilla got off of Noel and sat down in front of her, her tail curled around her paws and her eyes widened with excitement. "Okay, well don't you remember me? Because I remember you." Vanilla said hoping for a yes from Noel.

"Um, Vanilla I actually don't remember anything. Was I supposed to know?" Noel looked confused but worried at the same time. She stood up and padded over to Vanilla. She nuzzled her cheek affectionately. "I'm sorry," Noel muttered. " I just don't remember much these days even though I am still a kitten.After all, I've been stranded here for quite some time with all the others here." Vanilla expression quickly changed from hopeful to sorrowful. She shifted her paws and looked at the ground.

" It's okay, I just thought that you'd remember. But I guess that's fine that you don't remember one kit." Vanilla looked into Noel eyes and opened her mouth. "So you don't remember all of those months and days?" Vanilla questioned as a tear fell to the ground.

Noel looked at her then the ground. Her ears back. "I'm sorry Vanilla. Vanilla...?"

Vanilla looked up at Noel with sorrow and disappointment, "Yes?"

"I have a question, I know it's off topic but was Vanilla always your name?" Noel looked at Vanilla, who was staring at the ground.

"Well..Not always. You see I actually have an owner. She gave me the name Vanilla. My name before that was Tiny." Vanilla explained hoping for Noel's memory to come back.

"T-Tiny?!" Noel exclaimed surprised to hear the name once again. Noel stood up and pressed her muzzle up against Vanilla's neck fur. Vanilla jumped at Noel finally recognizing her. Vanilla smiled then suddenly she had a face that Noel instantly recognized.

" Tiny?..Err..Vanilla..?"

"What?" Vanilla was worried that Noel would realize what she was about to ask her.

"Nevermind." Noel looked at the ground and shifted her paw around nervously.

Vanilla was curious what happened to her mom so she spat out the question. "Noel, what ever happened to mom?" Noel winced as the word's came out of Vanilla's mouth. Noel's eyes were swelling with tears as she burst.

"She's dead Vanilla..." Noel flattened her ears as she hissed quietly at Vanilla in part anger and part sorrow. Vanilla jumped back and flattened her ears as she shakily said " Noel...I-I didn't mean to. I, I'm sorry." Noel looked at Vanilla and instantly drew her head back, her eyes filled with regretfulness. "Vanilla, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to lash out at you, I-I just...." Noel flushed with embarrassment. Vanilla looked at Noel and pressed her muzzle up against her. "I forgive you." Noel was surprised at how forgiving Vanilla was.

A child cried as her mom tried to calm her and tell her that Vanilla was okay. It had been 5 days since Vanilla had disappeared. "MOM! Where is kitty?!" The child sobbed as the mother had tried to already coax all her children. "Hon, it's okay. Vanilla probably decided she wanted to go her own ways. But trust me, it'll back to normal before you know it. We'll even get another kitten!"

"Another?!" Coffee growled as he heard the large person trying to talk to the child. "I just got rid of the first one, just getting rid of another one is too much work for me." Coffee was interrupted by another cat pouncing on him. He was bowled over as a paw hit him in the jaw. He looked at who was attacking him, he saw it was Bean. He instantly batted at her with both forepaws. Bean was bowled over by his massive paws. She hissed at him while her teeth her drew back in a snarl. He pounced on top of her crushing her with his weight.

He yowled as she fastened her teeth in his leg. They both instantly jumped in the air and ran off as a giant man came stomping into the room yelling something. bean looked at her shoulder and saw that it was bleeding, she licked the wound furiously cleaning it. Bean hissed at Coffee "I know what you did and she probably will be back! I know it!" Bean ran away crying as Coffee just glared at her. He looked at his flank and licked it.

Noel looked at Vanilla and prodded her side gently. "Vanilla! I can help you get back home?" Vanilla's ears pricked up as she smiled and ran to Noel hugging her. Noel licked Vanilla's ear briskly. "But if you want to get home we need to start heading out now."

"Noel, thank you so much, but what about you? How will you get back? What if you never make it home? What will I do?" Vanilla's mouth was running with tons of questions, Noel pressed her tail over Vanilla's mouth silencing her.

"Vanilla we don't need to worry about that, the only thing that we should be worrying about is getting you home, now let's go!" Noel stood up and looked at Vanilla and smiled. Vanilla got up and followed her, her head and tail held high.