Vanilla's Story Chapter 1

It smells like litter in this place, then again there is about 200 other cats in here not including me. My name.. well I won't say, not now anyway. Also, today the shelter is having an adoption fair! Well whatever an adoption fair is. My definition of it would be where a bunch of noisy people come and take away my friends.

"Ding!" The shelter door swung open as more people than I could count exploded through the door and flooded the shelter. I hid in the very back of the corner as one by one families came and took my friends. I sighed with relief when the shelter was silent once again. I lied down in the comfort of one of the many cat play houses. As soon as I was falling into the temptation of sleep the dogs started barking. I attempted to cover my ears with my paws but, to no avail I forgot my paws were super small. I went over to the start of their cages while staying in our area. I padded over and saw that it was the small dogs.

"Of course it's them, all they do is yap," I muttered under my breath. I went closer and hissed at them. Instantly they were silent except for a few that were whining from fear. As I trotted away I smirked and chuckled at the dogs. I went in the center of the room and lied on my paws and ever so slowly closed my eyes.

I was awoken by a startling "ding!" I quickly sat up and leapt up onto the window sill. I perched on it and peered out into the lobby. That was when I saw a family of five. They said they were looking for a kitten and that was when I sprung up and almost fell off. I grasped onto the ledge and scrambled back up. The receptionist showed the family to the room I was in.

I leapt down and almost tripped over another kitten.

"Sorry!" I whispered as I padded cautiously to the center of the room. I lied down hoping to be camouflaged by all the other cats.

"Mommy, mommy I want that kitty!"

"Alright honey, just wait."

I lifted my paw and nearly screamed when I saw a kid running towards me. I quickly and clumsily ran towards the other cats. The mother came back holding a tan paper. I squinted trying to read it. Oh wait I can't read, I put my paw on my face. I'm a cat, not a human! I slowly and shyly padded over to the kid. I let her pick me up and as soon as I let her do that I noticed that the room was getting smaller.

I looked behind me and saw that I was heading towards the counter. They set me down and the receptionist grabbed a box. Instantly I realized what was happening. I yowled as loud as I could.

"Oh, she's probably just nervous."

My instinct was to go limp so I did. Well just to prove what that did was when I opened my eyes and saw I was in a car! It was moving fast down the thunderpath. I got really dizzy and fainted.

"Guys leave the kitten alone!"

"But mom."

"I said leave the kitten alone!"

I woke and saw that I was heading towards the people's home. I scratched the sides of the barrier as an attempt to get out.

"Mom! The kitten's awake!"

"Well then you should still leave it alone!"

"It? I am no it. I for a fact, I am a she-cat!" I mewed. I was set down on the floor and two other cats trotted into the room.

"H-hello," I mewed nervously when the much bigger cats entered the room.

"Mom! I want to name the cat!"

"But I want to!"

"No I said it first."

"You two quit or you're both grounded. Now since you two can't decide I will name the cat. There now you two go up stairs." The mother came closer and picked me up. "Now, what should your name be?" She stood there me dangling in her hands for a while. Finally she spoke. "Vanilla, yes that's perfect."

Vanilla. Hmm, that could be nice. Well it's much better than Tiny. I mewed at her. She smiled back at me and set me back down by the cats.

"So, newbie what's your name?" A feline meowed. obviously it was a she-cat.

"M-my name? Well my name is Vanilla, what's your name?"

"My name is Bean," She spoke in a polite manner, "and him over there he is, Coffee." She tilted her ears over the cat lying lazily on the sofa. "He has been here awhile so beware." She laughed.

"Huh? What about me?" Coffee flipped himself over and glared. "Oh it's just a kitten, you got me excited."

Bean looked at Coffee and murmured something I couldn't quite understand.

"Yeah, he's not the conversationalist," Bean padded towards Coffee and pushed him out of the sunlight. He grunted. She kneaded the sofa then set her head on her paws, "anyway I got some sleeping to catch up on, I'm falling behind with my sleeping grades," She joked then closed her eyes. Now that Vanilla has a proper name you can now visualize her. Vanilla has cream body fur, white chest fur and tip of her tail, light brown paws, bright baby blue eyes that seem to glow green at night, and a brick red nose.

Okay, now that they are sleeping....I guess, I can roam around. I wonder if there are any other kittens here? Vanilla padded through the house looking in every cranny and nook.