Chapter Ten

Chapter 10

::: "Are y'all still comin' with me?" I asked Meagan and Blake through 3 way.

"To check out those two bars?" Meagan asked me. "Yeah, I'm down."

"How about you Blake?" I asked. There wasn't an answer.

"Helllooo??" I asked in a sing-song voice. "I know this fool didn't hang up on us," I said in disbelief to Meagan.

"Nah, he still on the other end. I could tell," she said. "He probably just sat the phone down or something."

Suddenly, there was snoring from the other end. It wasn't Meagan because she was humming some kind of tune to herself, so it had to be Blake.

"Blake? Um, hello? Blake!" I yelled into the phone three times before I heard a bunch of laughter.

"Y'all talk so much, I was really starting to fall asleep," he told me. "But um, I don't think I can go. I have a doctors appointment."

"I'ma smack you when I see you," I told him jokingly, even though I was really going to do it.

He just laughed. "When y'all going?" He asked.

"I really don't know," I admitted. "But um, I'll text you Meagan, when I'm ready. That'll be in 35 minutes or something, though."

"Alright, cool," Meagan said, sounding as if she was eating something...like always.

"What about me?" Blake asked, feigning hurt over the phone.

"Nope, you're not going," I told him teasingly.

"So if I miss this appointment and go, don't blame me when I get you sick," he told me.

"You just go to your appointment," I laughed. "But I'll text you too. Bye."

"Bye." I hung up and sat my phone down on my bed. I hopped out of the bed and walked into the hallway. I heard people talking so I went into the kitchen.

It was my uncle Tay! I haven't seen him in like forever.

"Tay!" I screamed and he engulfed me in a big bear hug. I call him Tay and not uncle because he's only a few years older than me. He just turned 21 a week ago. Plus, he doesn't mind it at all. He said he rather me call him that than uncle.

Tay's the Mac of the family. He is always trying to get at different girls. He's the type of guy to get all of the ladies, but not want a relationship. The perfect person for Shannon.

"What's up, Dessy? What you been up to?" He asked me after we pulled away from the hug.

"Nothin', really," I lied, but only because mama was in the kitchen. I wanted to tell him everything but didn't want her hearing. She was making breakfast but she still had ears that could listen.

Tay narrowed his eyes at me and nodded. That's another thing I love about him: he knows when I'm lying and when I'm telling the truth. That can sometimes be an advantage but mostly a disadvantage.

He's too cool for an uncle. He's more of the big brother I never had. He protects me, makes me laugh, and I know that he will always be by my side when no one else is (that's besides mama, though).

"So you don't know how to call or invite me to your big 21st birthday party?" I asked him with my arms folded firmly over my chest, faking anger. I was too overwhelmed with happiness to be mad, but I still wanted answers.

"So you don't know how to call or say happy birthday?" He asked me instead, leaning against the kitchen counter and narrowing his eyes at me too.

Mama walked past and moved his elbows off of the counter and wiped it. She started wiping down the entire kitchen.