Chapter 107 ▪︎ Unspoken Promise ▪︎

" So, You like Nandini. " Kabir inquired, taking a sip of his whisky while his gaze remained fixed on Manik. He was eagerly awaiting Manik's response, his ears attuned to the words that would follow.

Kabir's question hung in the air, lingering like an unspoken challenge. Manik's face remained stoic, his expression an enigma as he silently sipped his whiskey. His ability to conceal his emotions had become a trademark, a shield behind which he hid his true thoughts.

" This morning, when she was on the brink of falling, it might come across as selfish, but my initial thoughts were about my child and then about Nandini. But, you were more concerned about Nandini and didn't seem to consider the baby's well-being. Even though she's carrying the future heir of our Sheesh Mahal. " Kabir's eyes held a mix of surprise and suspicion, puzzled by Manik's unexpected behavior.

As Kabir pointed out the incident from that morning, Manik's inscrutable façade wavered slightly. The mention of Nandini's potential fall and the unborn child seemed to cut through his defenses, a crack in his armor that revealed a flicker of emotion beneath. His jaw tensed imperceptibly, his grip on the glass betraying the tension that had taken root within him.

Kabir's suspicions only deepened, his voice tinged with a mix of astonishment and skepticism.

"Why, Manik? Why this sudden concern for that surrogate?" Kabir's question was a direct confrontation, forcing Manik to confront the complexities that had been stirring within him. His grip on the glass tightened, his knuckles white against the pressure.

His voice held a note of urgency, as if he was piecing together a puzzle that didn't quite fit. The unexpected shift in Manik's behavior had sparked his curiosity, and he was determined to uncover the motivations behind it.

Kabir's suspicion danced in his eyes, his gaze locked onto Manik's face. "I find it puzzling, Why this particular attachment and concern for the surrogate? What lies beneath this unexpected affinity?"

A tempest of thoughts raged inside him, a whirlwind of conflicting emotions that he had long tried to suppress. His words were a direct challenge, an attempt to unravel the layers of mystery surrounding Manik's actions.

In that moment, the truth threatened to burst forth. The memories of his past behavior, the anger and distance he had maintained, clashed with the unexpected surge of empathy and concern he now felt for Nandini. He wanted to justify his actions, to explain the turmoil that had been churning beneath the surface. But words eluded him, trapped within the maelstrom of his inner conflict.

As he stared into his glass, his mind raced. The weight of Kabir's gaze, the weight of his own internal struggle, bore down on him. He was torn between revealing his emotions and keeping up the façade he had so carefully constructed.

The room seemed to close in around him as he grappled with the choice before him - to unveil the truth, no matter how uncomfortable, or to continue the charade that had defined his interactions for so long.

Manik's mask of indifference wavered ever so slightly. Kabir's observation had struck a nerve, revealing a vulnerability that he rarely allowed others to witness. The words echoed in his mind, a stark reminder of his own actions and emotions.

Manik's mind raced, a maelstrom of conflicting thoughts and emotions swirling within him. He felt the weight of Kabir's gaze, demanding an explanation that he himself was struggling to grasp. The truth was a complex tapestry woven from his past, his present, and the unforeseen forbidden connection he had with Nandini.

He found himself at a crossroads, torn between revealing the tangled web of emotions he had kept hidden for so long or maintaining the facade he had meticulously crafted. The grip on the glass tightened, a tangible reflection of his internal struggle. The battle raged on, unspoken words echoing in the space between them, as Manik grappled with his own identity, desires, and the secrets he guarded so closely.