reassurance and accidents (markings au part 2)

Yoongi's heart dropped when he heard the words that came from Jungkook's lips. This was the complete opposite of what he had expected. In his mind, Jungkook's... death would be a calm, quiet one where the singer was in the least amount of pain possible. That was how it would be in an ideal world, but the words scrawled across his back likely proved otherwise.

Unconsciously, the rapper reached up to scratch his back, suddenly disliking that particular part of his body. If it was going to cause his soulmate fear, like the fear he could see now in Jungkook's eyes, he didn't want it there. Millions of possibilities ran through Yoongi's mind; would Jungkook pass peacefully? Would the rapper be responsible for his own soulmate's death?

Shaking his head, he looked at Jungkook, who was still clutching one of his hands and looking at him with an uneasy smile.

"Hyung, I-I don't think we should read into it that much. Don't worry about me, I'll survive to grow old if it means I get to grow old with you!"

And just those words managed to lift Yoongi out of his dark thoughts into the present, into what was happening now instead of obsessing over the future. He was here with the one person he loved most in the entire world, and they still had so much more to experience together.

Lifting his head up, the rapper smiled at the younger man, and leaned over to deliver a kiss onto his cheek. Looking at Jungkook's face again, he saw him blushing brightly, and in that moment knew that he wouldn't trade his soulmate for anything in the world.

This was the prime of their existence, and he wasn't going to let a couple of words scribbled on his back take it away from him. All their petty fights, long walks through the city, nights sat by the river, just enjoying each other's company, all of their shared experiences together. Moments in the sheets in the wee hours of the morning after a long nights of euphoria, these were all experiences Yoongi treasured. This was, as they had mentioned in so many interviews, the meaning of youth. Just living in the moment, not concerned about the future and what was to come. And Yoongi was loving every second of it.

~

It was during the last few minutes of the concert that it happened.

The band was finishing up with their finale song, Answer: Love Myself. It was a personal favourite of Yoongi's, as it held a special meaning. He wanted their fanbase to be proud of who they were and accept themselves before anyone else, especially as he had had a firsthand experience as to how nasty self-hatred could be. Jungkook had definitely played a major role on his road to recovery.

Fireworks were due to come out of the ground during the beginning of the last chorus. Yoongi faintly remembered this, but was too caught up in the moment to get himself a safe distance away from the edge of the stage. He was lost in the thrill of it all, the raw energy that buzzed through the air, the screaming of the sea of fans before him, the end of the last verse...

"YOONGI-HYUNG, MOVE!"

It all happened so fast. He faintly registered that he had wandered too far out of the safety of the main stage, and was now dangerously close to where the fireworks were supposed to be launched. The next thing he knew, a white-and-brown blur vaguely resembling his soulmate had ran into him at full speed, making him stumble further into the stage. Yoongi then watched in absolute horror as said white-and-brown blur proceeded to get hit with a facefull of burning hot, high pressure fireworks.

The stadium fell into chaos. The music was turned off abruptly, but the volume made no difference as fans began to shriek in horror, distraught at what had just happened. The fact that the cameras had been focused on Jungkook made sure that absolutely everyone in the stadium had had a good view of the last few seconds. The band members ran to gather round Jungkook and Yoongi, who had already dropped to his knees beside the unconscious singer, shaking as he gripped the younger's hand as if he never wanted to let go.

No, no, no was all that was running through Yoongi's mind. The word repeated in his head like a mantra. This couldn't be happening. What would happen to them growing old together? What would happen to all the stupid plans they had made for the future? What would happen to him spending the rest of his life with his beacon of hope, his world, his life force, his one true love? Yoongi began shaking as tears dripped steadily down his face, still unable to completely comprehend what had just occurred. This couldn't be where their story ended. He refused to believe it.

"Hyung, move" Namjoon moved a motionless Yoongi to the side to allow room for the medical team to take their maknae away.
He looked at Jungkook, and then looked away with a sick expression, as he couldn't bear to see his beloved dongsaeng with a bloody face and torso with his band members crying round him. In reality, he wanted to drop to his knees beside Jungkook and never leave his side, but the role of responsibility had to be played out by someone. Tears welled up in Namjoon's eyes, but the rapper was too engrossed in praying to all and any gods out there to notice.

Please. Make sure he stays with us. Please.

It's been so long since I updated (﹏ヽ)

The last part of the series is written and ready to go, so it will probably come out by the end of the week at the latest. It might even come out in a couple of days... ;)

I'm sorry for pouring a whole lotta feels into this one but the story must move on :,

As always, thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed it :)

Side note: mono is a masterpiece and Namjoon is a god