Chapter Fifty-Four: Are You Ok?

We stood in the back of the bar, watching as this girl, Izzy Bowen played the fiddle and played Something Bad by Miranda Lambert. She was really good.

"Are you ok?" Ralph asked into my ear. I shook my head.

"Why does everyone keep worrying about me?! It's you we need to be worried about, along with the lives of four other Meta humans."

"You don't need to worry about me." He said. "I have a whole Team of very capable people protecting me, including you. Try to relax a little bit." He put his hands on my shoulders, but I shook them off.

"I've been relaxed this whole time. Too relaxed, and now is the time for me to stop being relaxed and put my guard back up." Ralph sighed, walking around me to stand on Barry's other side. I combed the room for anything suspicious. So maybe I'm being a little harsh, and I'm not a whole lot of fun, right now. But I can't lose Ralph. I can't.

 I wouldn't survive.

~~~

The concert ended and we approached the singer.

"Izzy Bowen?" Barry asked.

"That's me."

"My name is Barry Allen, I'm from CCP..." He trailed off, remembering that he's not from CCPD at the moment.

"Is that a label?"

"Maybe on another Earth." Ralph answered.

"Ok, well you want an autograph?" She asked, taking the CD from him, "Or a phone number or something?" She looked to Ralph and I suddenly felt the jealousy bubbling up in my stomach.

"Something." I answered, slightly harsher than I meant to.

"Ok, well if it ain't business and it ain't pleasure then we got nothin' left to talk about, now do we?" She looked at a guy in a cowboy hat. She handed him something."Do it again next week. Great work."

'Ok, let me explain." Barry said. He looked to Ralph and I, awkwardly trying to find the words.

"Someone is coming after you," I said for him, "Someone who is extremely smart and really dangerous.

"Me?" She asked, laughing. "Ok, now why in the name of God would anybody dangerous be coming after me?"

"Because you were on Central City bus 405 four months ago and now you have powers, after the bus was showered in dark matter, turning everyone on it into a meta-human." I answered. Her smile fell.

"Now the person responsible for doing that wants those powers for themselves." Barry added.

"Ok, and let me guess, you boys and Little-Miss Attitude are here to protect me." I raised my eyebrows.

"Excuse me?" I asked. Barry put a hand on my arm.

"Look, we can explain more later, but for now, we just need you to come with us."

"Oh, no, that's not necessary." She turned around, closing her fiddle case. "My daddy bailed, Mama bailed not long after, and I have been lookin' out for myself my entire life. "

"This time, it's different, you can't." Ralph said. "Please. We need to go."

"I ain't goin' anywhere with any of you."

"I think you should really rethink that." I told her, trying my best to appear nicer.

"I don't give a dang what you think." Suddenly, a high-pitched ringing filled our ears, and Ralph instinctively put his hands over my ears. We were all knocked to the ground, and then she was gone.