Chapter Thirty-Nine: What Did I Do?

I sighed, crossing my arms as I stood in front of a fleet of cops, watching a hostage situation going down in the bank. This moron had a bomb strapped to his chest and three hostages.

"Fine, just tell us what you want." Joe said into the phone, concealed by his open car door.

"I want you to back of, or I will detonate this thing." I grabbed the phone, speaking into it.

"Calm down, alright? No one needs to get hurt today." I told him.

"You just shut your mouth Skyrocket! You just follow my instructions, and everybody here gets to live to see the sunshine tomorrow. Alright."

"Ralph, what's the hold up here?" I mumbled into my earpiece.

"I'm getting there! Don't rush me, Lo. Genius takes time." I rolled my eyes, a ghost of a smile on my face at my dork of a boyfriend.

"Yeah, well these hostages might not have time. This guy is a moron, and that kind of makes him dangerous."

"Alright. First, I want a car. Something Eco-friendly, like a Prius." I furrowed my eyebrows behind my mask."

"Ok, we can do that." Joe said, furrowing his eyebrows at me.

"Good. Uh, right. Now second. " Out of the corner of my eye, I saw one of the hostages slide out of the room in the background, and it wasn't hard to figure out what had happened. I snuck away, luckily without the robber noticing and flew up to the roof, entering through an open skylight to find Ralph ushering the first hostage out the door.

"Good thinking, Dibny." I said quietly. He smiled at me, stretching his arms out and pulling out the second hostage.

"I want a plane, alright? A private plane. And a salad, alright? I'm counting calories!" 

"Ok. It's gonna take us an hour to arrange that." Joe's voice said.

"You better hurry up, because these hostages don't have much time." the robber turned around to see that his hostages were gone. He turned around, looking for them and Ralph and I entered the room.

"Should have gone with a steak, pal. 'Cause it's the last decent meal your getting for the next five to ten years." He said.

"Nice." I muttered.

"Thank you." Ralph turned around, making 'OK' signs with his hands. I furrowed my eyebrows, grabbing his arm and turning him back to the robber.

"Who the heck are you?" I cringed.

"Your friendly neighborhood superhero. You can call me..." He trailed off.

"Come on, stay on topic." I muttered.

"One second. Guys, this is a huge moment for me. What's my name?"

"I was wondering where you were going with that." Cisco's voice said.

"Can we do this later? Please?" I asked, pulling Ralph's hand away from his ear.

"Hey, hey, where are my hostages?"

"Bathroom break. They just couldn't hold it anymore. Don't worry though, they're totally safe.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa! Get back freak!" The robber held up the detonator as Ralph edged closer to him.

"Freak, oh, sticks and stones may break my bones, buddy. Well, they used to. Not anymore."

"Less banter, more crime fighting." I muttered. Ralph turned around.

"Babe, can you just let me do this?" I held up my hands.

"Sorry."

"I'll blow this whole city block."