Chapter Thirty-Eight: We've Got Work To Do

"Ladies and Gentlemen, the document in my hand is a court-issued restraining order. It's issued to Marlize Devoe, the wife of the victim, on behalf of her husband against a Mr. Bartholomew Henry Allen. Now if you'd like a better look, I have a bigger copy. If you allow me to call out what's written underneath 'reason for order issue'...harassment. The defendant was seen just days earlier illegally breaking and entering into the victim's house, searching through the victim's effects. A man obsessed. On that note, I would like to call Laura WIlson to the stand." I swallowed, standing up nervously and walking to the stand, where a man was holding a bible for me to put my hand on. "Ms. Wilson, do you swear to tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth so help you God?"

"I do." I removed my hand, sitting down in the chair.

"I would like to show the jury another restraining order." he removed the posterboard, revealing another one. "As you can see, it is very similar to the one against Mr. Allen, once again issued to a young woman  for the reasoning of harrassment, only this time, it is against a Thomas Wilson, the older brother of Laura Wilson. Ms. Wilson, you worked with Mr. Allen on a daily basis, correct."

"Yes."

"And you were also friends, so you must've spent a fair amount of time together." I nodded.

"Yes."

"So, as someone who has seen a case very similar to this in your own home, and has someone who has witnessed the day-to-day behaviors of Mr. Allen, can you honestly say that you have not witnessed a similarity between the behavior of Mr. Allen and the behavior of your brother?" Every part of me wanted to say that there were no similarities. But...there were.

"No...no I can't." I looked at Barry apologetically. he gave me a look that said it was ok.

"Ms. WIlson, can you tell me how your brother's case ended?" I closed my eyes.

"...my brother murdered his Ex-girlfriend...and was sentenced to life in Iron Heights Prison." He nodded.

"No further questions." He sat down and Cecile stood up. I bit my lip, feeling like I had just ruined Barry's whole case. 

"Ms. Wilson...while they may have been some similarities to Mr. Allen's case and your brothers, can you testify to the fact that there are also differences? Especially considering Mr. Allen's personality?" I nodded. "Can you give me some examples?"

"Barry Allen is one of the happiest, most positive people I have ever met. He is kind, and willing to do anything for his friends. He is one of the best men I have ever met. My brother, however...had a history with depression. He became obsessed with his girlfriend after she broke up with him because she was the only girl he had ever loved and the only friend he had ever had. He was isolated and closed-off while Barry is constantly surrounded by people who love and adore him and he feels the same about them." Cecile nodded.

"No further questions." She left and I quickly went and sat back down with the others when Joe's phone buzzed.

"Cisco, there's a Meta attack down town."

"I'll stay here with Barry." Iris said. The rest of us got up and left the courtroom. I was the last out the door and they all glanced at me as we walked.

"What?" I asked.

"Why didn't you tell us?" Caitlin asked, falling into step beside me. I shook my head.

"I didn't want to relive it. I wanted to move on and not be the murderer's sister for once in my life."

"Is that why you're a CSI?" Joe asked. I nodded.

"I wanted to prove to the world and to myself that the Wilsons are more than that. That we're better." Caitlin grabbed my hand and squeezed it, and Cisco did the same to my shoulder. I paused."Actually...do you guys care if I sit this one out? I don't think Iris should be alone."