Chapter Fifty-Two: I Saved Barry

I pushed through the doors to the bar, trying not to fall over.

"Wolfe-man to Star-base. I'm here." I reported, stumbling over my feet, but managing not to fall.

"Ralph, to help you stay as Wolfe, I'm gonna hand you over to Joe. He's gonna quarterback." Iris reported.

"Ralph, you copy?"

"Yep." I answered, leaning up against a pin-ball machine. "So what's the next move? Preferable something without a lot of moving."

"Ok, Amunet's point man is Norvock, so you're gonna have to talk to him first." Caitlin told me.

"Grab a drink, act like a no-nonsense kind of guy."

"Barkeep," The bartender looked up and I walked over to the bar. "Something cold and frosty, if you please." He slid me a beer in a mug and it shattered onto the floor before I could catch it. I raised my eyebrows. "That's on you, bro." I turned around, seeing Norvock coming towards me. "Snakes' on the brain, 5:00."

"Stay focused. No distracting thoughts." Laura's voice chimed in.

"In that case you probably shouldn't talk." I told her. If I heard her voice I would inevitably get distracted. "Gingold on the rocks. Hand it to me, please."

"The heck you doing here?" Norvock asked.

"I'd like to talk to Amunet, please, about the deal."

"You can talk to Amunet at the deal."

"Ralph, drop the pleases. Don't be polite, nobody talks to Wolfe like that. He's the warden of the most dangerous prison in the Midwest." Laura's voice chimed in again. I took a sip of my drink.

"Demand some respect." Joe added. I stood up, grabbing his jacket.

"Listen, you lapdog. Set the meeting with your boss now, or I'll pull out your eye snake and strangle you with it, understood?"

"Alright, alright." I let go of him. "Let me see what I can do." He walked away and I smiled, sitting down again.

"There you go, Ralph." Laura said. I looked into a mirror directly across from me just in time to see my ear flopping down off of my head.

"Oh gosh," I said, starting to panic a little bit. I put my hand over my ear and leaned against the bar. A guy looked at me. "Sup."

"Ralph, you ok?" Iris asked.

"Yeah, fine, yeah. No problem here. I'm definetly holding it together."

"Now is really not the time to be lying to us, Ralph." Laura said.

"I'm not! I have complete control of the situation. Ol' Dibny won't let his friends down." Norvock appeared in the mirror behind me.

"Wolfe." I turned around, still holding my ear. I let go of it, and luckily it stayed. "Amunet's ready."

"Then let's not keep her waiting." He lead me into a back room with dim lighting, where Amunet was watching a couple of guys boxing.

"Ding ding. Boys? Have some orange slices, Mummy needs to work, ok?" She handed her Killer Frost iced Mocha to Norvock. "Warden," She sang, "I'm going to assume this is not one of those good emergency meetings, a few hours before a major criminal undertaking, hm?"

"We have to Delay the deal." I replied.

"What?"

"My ears outside tell me the police have been tipped. I don't know how. Maybe CCPD hacked into the cameras."