Chapter Twenty-Five: What In The Freaking Heck Was That?

Ralph woke me up by tapping on my shoulder.

"Someone's coming," He told me, "You wouldn't want someone else thinking that you're my girlfriend." I chuckled drowsily, rubbing my eyes as Barry and Iris came around the corner. We both stood up, following them into the cortex.

"We've got the third piece of the necklace. My dad found out that it was on display at Central City Museum, but when they figured out that it was a target..." She pulled up a map of Central City that was tracking the necklace.

"It's on the move." Barry pointed out.

"Yeah, it's being transferred via armored car to a secure storage facility in Brookfield Heights. I pinged the truck's GPS."

"Alright. Ralph, Laura, let's go."

"I'll get my ugly suit."

~~~

The scene we came upon this time was our Meta walking away from a parked armored truck and a caveman statue in the middle of the road.

"Hello. Are you ready to go to jail?" Barry asked, causing her to turn around.

"This doesn't belong in an auction house." She replied. "It doesn't belong in someone's collection, it belongs to the Sioux people. My people."

"Mina...I know you've been through a lot, but this is not the way to do this-"

"I don't need to listen to men like you anymore, Flash. A few weeks ago, something inside me changed. Changed for the better...for the more powerful. And now there's just the black Bison. An arm drilled into my bruised ribs, sending me to the ground. I gritted my teeth, blinking away the tears in my eyes and forcing myself to stand up. I saw Barry fly into a powerline pole, sending the wires to the ground.

"The power lines! Get those people clear!" Barry shouted. I went to move towards them only to be overcome with pain. Without a doubt, my already injured ribs were broken now.

"You have to do it." I shouted to Ralph, falling to my knees.

"But I can catch the Meta!" Ralph shouted. He was currently stretched out, one hand on the armored car and the other keeping Mina's car from driving away. I looked up to see the pole falling just as a little girl fell down trying to run away from it. I got up, trying to get to her, ready to make a forcefield, but it was too late. The pole had landed on the girl, and she was now unconscious. I made my way over, helping one of the civilians to lift up the pole and pull her out from beneath it. Tears were streaming down my face.

"Laura! Laura!" The girl's mother called. Huh...what are the odds? The mother pulled her daughter into her lap and I looked her over, hearing the sirens.

"The EMTs are almost here, and she's still breathing." Barry appeared beside me. 

"Come on, wake up, honey. Honey, come on, wake up." Barry stood up, looking behind him. I looked up to see Ralph. He knew he had made a mistake.

~~~

Barry Ralph, and I changed and were currently standing outside of Laura's hospital room. A quick diagnosis from Caitlin told me that my ribs were indeed cracked, so she gave me a brace and some more pain medication.

"Ok, you just res up, I'm gonna come back and check on you in a little while." The Doctor said, leaving the room. "Well, mild concussion, a hairline fracture in her leg. She's young, She'll heal fast."

"Thank you, Doctor." I said, one arm wrapped around myself.

"You're very welcome. But considering the accident, she's very lucky to be alive." Barry turned towards Ralph.